MSI K7T Pro 133mHz FSB

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Duron 700 on a MSI K7T Pro mobo. Now, the most recent 1.8 BIOS upgrade gives support for a 133 mHz FSB. Obviously my chip is supposed to be at 100 mHz, but that's no fun. Well, when I go into the BIOS I change the CPU Host/PCI Clock to 133/33, save it and restart. But, nothing happens, it just resets the FSB back to Default, which is 100/33. If I set the value to like 105/35, it boots up as a Duron 735 mHz. Before I had my chip at a 110 FSB speed for like 770 mHz, but I had stability problems so I stopped that. Anyway, a 133 mHz FSB would make my 700 a 931 mHz, so that'd be cool. Anyone know what I can do to get this working, if possible at all? Thanks.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately the EV6 bus used in chipsets for AMD CPUs can't handle 133Mhz FSB. Your processor isn't the bottleneck in this case it's the chipset.

G

It's just like the RPM meter of your car or bike: It might indicate to go to 8000rpm, but actually at 6000 rpm you've reached the red zone and at 6500 all extra rounds are blocked (either mechanical of electronically)... it's the same with the Via 686 chipset.... Some mainboard indicate to go to 133, 150 or even 160 mhz FSB, but in fact no one will ever get any higher than =/- 111 mhz..... Just colour your L1 bridges on the Duron with a lead HB pencil and adjust the multiplier setting of your mainboard.... and if your mainboard doesn't support multiplier adjustments.... then you're stuck at 735Mhz....

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I realize what you mean, but I think something else is up. I know that increasing FSB speeds increases everything on the mainbord. Increasing core clock also raises PCI, AGP, and other speeds which simply can't handle the extra mHz. Thats where this new BIOS update comes in. If you go all the way up, it becomes something like 130 mHz CPU clock and like 50 mHz PCI clock. Now, the CPU can totally handle the speed, but the other parts are what fails causing it to not work. But, the new BIOS update gets rid of that problem by allowing a 133 mHz CPU clock, but it keeps the PCI clock running at 33 mHz instead of the 50 mHz that it cannot support. The MSI support page says that this new BIOS has support for 133 mHz FSB Athlons and Durons, where it didn't before this new 1.8 version, but it isn't working right now with this older Duron. It is SUPPOSED to work at 133 mHz. Also, the problem with connecting the L1 bridges is that MSI boards do not have any multiplier adjustments whatsoever. So, if I wanted to do that I would have to sever and join a bunch of the bridges all over the chip in order to get a higher multiplier.