Sign in with
Your question

Building my own system

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2000 2:35:18 PM

Howdee!!
After reading a lot of tests i decided to order a T-bird 800, Asus GeForce2 Mx,128 Pc 133 Sdram, AOpen HQ08X fulltower, ASUS A7V KT133 Board to use with an old soundblaster soundcard, Intel nic since i'm a happy broadband surfer along with Windows 98 SE. I've noticed that some are happy and others seem to hate the motherboard, Can anyone see any weaknesses with my setup? Please let me know before it's too late. Great forum by the way.

More about : building system

December 17, 2000 2:42:06 PM

Just make sure you have a good 300W power supply in that case and that it is recommended by AMD. Is your ram generic or is it a good quality name brand?
Everything else looks fine, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't try to overclock or modifing your chip or updating your bios right away, just see if you can get everything running stable first as-is, then you can dabble with tweaking.
Good Luck
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2000 2:56:07 PM

Thanks Bubba.
I don't know the brand of the ram but the case is a 300w.
There are room for three fans in it.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2000 2:59:03 PM

Well i had a problem with the A7V coupled witht a GeForce MX with windows 2000. The system would freeze in 3d games i have installed windows 98 and it does not freeze anymore. A few things i have setup in the bios is PNP OS:o ff and normal not optimal system performance. I have also installed the Nvidia drivers on normal not turbo for more stability. Now i don't know if this is making the system stable but i know that this system was a nightmare for about a week. It seems all over the net people are having trouble with A7V, GeForce, and windows 2000 together. So i don't feel like an idiot. Be warned that people running 98 and 98SE are also reporting lockups. oh yeah one last thing I have flashed my bios to 1005A. Hope this help good luck with the combo...

Paladin Omega
December 18, 2000 9:47:18 AM

If i could make a suggestion about the RAM, go with www.crucial.com AKA Micron. Their prices are real competitive, and you can be sure the dam sticks werent put together in some 16 yr olds garage hehe. You can buy "Micron" RAM anywhere youd think, but those are just the chips, i like to know who is soldering those chips on the stick. Also they shipped my 2 orders (so far) fast. Of course variety isnt an issue either with them, nor quality.

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2000 3:46:54 PM

Thanks a bunch for your help. This will be quite a step forward compared to my old Amd K5 166 (8 Fps in Unreal machine:-)
Uffe From Sweden...
!