Lost calls with Verizon Data

I will be getting a wireless PDA but am concerned about lost calls
while it is doing "wireless sync" to get email. Does anyone know if
this happens on VZ with the blackberry, Treo 600 or others? I know
CDMA will not handle voice and data at the same time - but will it
drop a data call for a voice call?
Thanks,
-JAX
2 answers Last reply
More about lost calls verizon data

    John wrote:

    > I will be getting a wireless PDA but am concerned about lost calls
    > while it is doing "wireless sync" to get email. Does anyone know if
    > this happens on VZ with the blackberry, Treo 600 or others? I know
    > CDMA will not handle voice and data at the same time - but will it
    > drop a data call for a voice call?

    On both Verizon and Sprint, if the phone has an active data call, it will not
    ring if someone makes a voice call to you. The call will eventually go to
    voicemail. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA carriers.

    > On both Verizon and Sprint, if the phone has an active data call, it will
    > not ring if someone makes a voice call to you. The call will eventually go
    > to voicemail. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA carriers.

    Yes, however, my 1x data calls seem to go into dormant mode very quickly
    whenever I am not actively using the connection. One can receive voice
    calls if the data connection is dormant. In general I consider this an
    annoyance rather than a feature, but this may be the one case where it has
    an advantage (fast dormant
    status enables voice calls much of the time).

    GSM/GPRS carriers have several advantages over CDMA/1X carriers today:
    1) Voice priority over data (true for GPRS, not true for 1x).
    2) GPRS is capable of allowing both simultaneous data and voice.
    3) GPRS data works even when roaming. AT&T's plans include roaming
    access to data at the same rate as on their own network.

    CDMA/1X advantages over GSM/GPRS:
    1) 1x tends to be faster at each development cycle. i.e. 1x compared to
    GPRS

    or EV-DO compared to EDGE etc.
    2) 1x tends to be cheaper for customers (if you consider unadvertised things
    like
    Verizon allowing folks to use 1x for just the cost of minutes and no
    additional monthly).

    For me, the casual user, Verizon's data is cheaper and works acceptably
    well. If I was a business traveller I would definitely choose GPRS mainly
    to get data access when roaming.

    -Dan

    PS: I'd look at T-Mobile or AT&T for better data access with voice priority
    and roaming.
    1x is faster than GPRS, but only slightly. 1x EV-DO will not permit
    simultaneous
    voice either, so the wait for CDMA carriers will be long until EV-DV is
    deployed (which will allow simultaneous voice for CDMA carriers).

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

Verizon Wireless Internet Service Providers