I have the worst real-time clock in the world

G

I have a Biostar motherboard using VIA KT133. Its realtime clock looses about 10 mins to 15 mins every *hour*. Yes, you read right. Is this some sort of problem or is it just exceptionally bad?

It's bugging me so much I hid the clock in windows and put a $3 digital alarm clock on top of the monitor of my $3000 PC.

Is there any reason for this? My BIOS battery is fine - is there some other battery that might need replacing? The system is only 2 months old...

Does anyone else have a clock quite this bad?

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! You spent $3000 on a computer and bought a Biostar motherboard! I'm sorry I couldn't help it.

I thought my old IBM pentium-200 was bad (it loses 5 min/month). It sounds like a mobo problem. See if you can exchange it for a different mobo (Asus, Abit, MSI), and if not exchange it for another Biostar.

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first off, have to agree...$3000 for any puter OUCH...but dont think your alone one the clock issue...your just alot worse off...i have an Asus P2BF..considered one of the most stable 440BX MBs around, and i gain 3-5 minutes every coupla weeks myself..drives me nutso. So dont feel like youve been completely ripped off, but you can call the company you bought it from and gripe a bit. For the money you paid they not only should have a 1-800# standing by for you...they should send a guy over within 24 hours to address the problem..and maybe cook you dinner and do the wash as well. Make use of any warranties and/or service agreements, that is certainly the most important benefit of buying a high priced puter.

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

Going along with the others, I would consider that to be unacceptable. I don't know how Biostar implements the RTC/NVRAM chip on your mobo, but I would demand a fix from your place of purchase. At the very least this obviously affects anything that is time/date critical.

I'd also write down all your important BIOS settings just in case.

Mike

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a similar, but stranger problem. My comp (Gigabytle BX board) gains about 4 mins per month, but so does the clock on my VCR. The alarm clock in my bedroom keeps good time, and the battery powered clock on my wall does too, just my computer and vcr both gain, and at the same rate. I thought it could be the circuits in my building, but the computer and VCR are on seperate breakers.

Creepy, no?