Xbox VGA ghosting?

delta100

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I bought the VGA HD/AV cable for the Xbox 360. However I'm having a problem with ghosting whenever I turn on my Xbox. I use a HP 2159m LCD monitor. Any solutions on how to remove ghosting?

DarwinC

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi! This is my first post here. I have the same "problem". I tested my VGA HD/AV cable with three LCDs and I get ghosting with alll of them. As far as I know, it's due to improper shielding of the cable itself. I've been told that generic products suffer from this, hence we should aim to purchase the original, certified cable by Microsoft.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey guys,

I bought the certified VGA cable for my 360 and hooked it up to my computer monitor and didn't have any issues. It could be because you're using a 3rd party generic cable.

I know the Microsoft certified ones might seem like a ripoff, but they're certified for a reason sometimes.

dkablack

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I had the same problem.. but I fixed it myself..

Knowing that the cord isn't made of the best materials .. like my ebay special was.. I knew I could shorten it to improve the signal quality.. basically I have a 3 foot cord.. so I cut it down until there was about 8 inches on each side.. then I spliced the wires all back together (takes about 30 minutes) and used a bit of electrical tape on each one. Once this was done I plugged it in.. my 3 foot cable is now about a foot long and there is hardly any ghosting at all...

I'd say there were about 5 sets of ghosted image on the screen that extended about 5 cm to the right previously, now there's just one very faint ghost image that extends about 2 mm on the right.. and its only noticeable when I'm viewing white text on black.

(I'm mostly Playing NCAA Football 11, lots of text when you're not playing an actual game)

It really made a huge difference and I suggest trying it out before you buy a whole new one.. if you're gonna throw away the old one anyway.

Just match the wires back up, splice them together and tape them up individually and you'll probably have a much better image.

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
old thread but thanks for the tip i ordered myself an efforcity cable for dirt cheap to use my xbox on my pc screen, hopefully i wont have any issues to begin with but seeing its a 1080P screen its good to know a quickfix for this ghosting issue at higher res. so your basically just saying chop a good length off the VGA side of the cable, and re-splice on a shorter BETTER quality VGA? seems easy enough,basic wiring. thanks again for that tip it may come in handy

dkablack

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

yup.. that's exactly what I did... it really did improve the image quality. It's basically due to poor shielding, the longer the cable, the more likely ghosting will happen, I could be wrong but I believe this is due to it being an analog signal rather than a digital signal like hdmi/dvi.

I got a little confused by "and re-splice on a shorter BETTER quality VGA", youre basically just taking your crappy vga cable and cutting out the middle couple feet to make it shorter, i'd leave like 6 inches on each side just incase you find you want to make it shorter to improve quality more

Eventually I bought an HDMI/DVI cable for the best possible quality, but if you don't have one of those ports on your monitor then this is the next best thing.

A real good quality wire might not have this problem but hey, sometimes we can't all afford the extra bucks just for fun and leisure.

Anyway, just make sure you match the wires back up, usually theyre color coded and theres like 8-12 of them (cant remember exactly), be sure to tape each one individually to prevent signal interference at the point of splicing, the shorter the wire, the clearer the image will be.

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

the whole issue with VGA i noticed, not only VGA uses an analog signal unlike DVI or HDMI. VGA can pick up EFI and other interference from high electrical surroundings such as the power supply used to run the xbox, or even on my PC i noticed vertical lines that run side to side on my monitor when under high load, as i am currently using VGA as well for my displays. "old yes i know"
getting more so to the point, VGA is just bad to begin with mostly for gaming applications. ive noticed many cheap XBOX VGA cables have little, no,or just horrible wire shielding causing major ghosting problems at high res. whilst my PC displays 1280x1024 over VGA with no ghosting, i think its mainly the cables xbox uses. over all you can either cut and re-make a custom VGA cable with better shielding if you're good with color coding and re soldiering, or upgrade to HDMI, im sure used on ebay or gamestop they're reasonably priced now.