A7V and IDE questions...

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2000 4:11:34 AM

Upgrading to an A7V and hit a bump when I got to hooking up the IDE drives. Asus put on 4 connectors (2 UltraATA100/66's and 2 Reg. ATA66/33's) and I can't figure out how to link it all up.

Here is what I have got: IBM DeskStar Ultra ATA100, Maxtor Burner ATA?? (April 2000 model), 100MB Zip Drive ATA?? (April 99 model), and an unknown 36x CD drive ATA?? (August 98 model).

Any help from the fellow ASUS fans out there? Thanks a lot.

More about : a7v ide questions

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2000 5:03:11 AM

Your A7V board should come with a ATA100 cable(the ATA66 cable supports ATA100). You can use that to connect your Deskstar as the master drive to either the primary or secondary Promise ATA100 controller. As for the other drives, you need to find out the type. If they're 100, you can connect to either ATA100 controller. If they're 66, just connect them to one of the two ATA66 controllers. The location of the controllers are shown in the user manual. If you don't a manual, you can download one from http://www.asus.com.tw/.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2000 7:17:04 AM

You should defintly connect your zip and CD-drive to your ATA-66 connectors. Now for your HD's, it seems logic to connect the ATA-100 to the primary Promise ATA-100 controller and the Maxtor drive to the ATA-66 connector as it isn't a ATA-100 drive. However, I also ave an IBM Deskstar ATA-100 and an older IDM Deskstar ATA-66. I connected the ATA-100 disk as master to the primary ATA-100 connector. I connected my older ATA-66 as master to the secondary ATA-100 connector (also using an ATA-66 cable).
This works without a problem. I would recommend that you install your zip-drive as a master on the primary ATA66/33 IDE connector, and you CD-ROM as a master on the secondary ATA66/33 connector. This way you have al 4 IDE devices connected and there is no performance bottleneck, all 4 devices are on a different controller.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2000 12:48:13 PM

Ok then, if there are two seperate IDE controllers I should be good to go. And let me make sure - theoretically the ASUS could support 8 IDE devices, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for the help, your expert knowledge has come through once again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2000 11:12:29 AM

It does indeed support 8 IDE devices (altough not in Raid like the Abit MB).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2000 12:59:35 PM

read the A7V manual ! 10 times if you must, you will benefit in the end.

Don't forget to set in BIOS first boot device as SCSI/RAID or 3rd party... bla bla bla something, I don't remember it all.

A7V is somewhat different to old systems, really need to read the manual. hahaha especially those FSB, Vcore, multiplier pages hehehe to overclock the CPU.

Oh I forgot, try reading one post by me earlier titled

Win2k + A7V ATA100 installation guide

that is ifyou install win2k, can't live without reading it.

Best regards
cx5<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fcchin on 12/20/00 10:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2000 2:07:09 AM

If you are booting from a floppy (i.e. to install an operating system) you will find that no matter how much bios tweaking you do, the drive on the ATA100 controller will never be a c: drive. Thus, you have hook up your hard drive to the primary IDE controller first, install the OS, then switch the drive back to the ATA100 controller after you have successfully installed the os.

The cdroms should go on to the ide controllers and not the Promise ata100 controllers.

Remember to install the via 4-in-1 drivers as well as the Promise build 33 driver. If you end up having a lot of crashes with your board, you may wish to flash your bios to version 1005a. (Did wonders for my a7v)
!