A7V: Register Errors

G

Hi to all,

When I boot up WIN98SE, I'm randomly having the register corrupted, and windows needs to restart using a backup of it...

I've read that this should be a problem when WIN98 shutdowns: my system is too fast.

WIN98 has enabled by default the option "Disable fast shutdown", enabling fast shutdown may help?

Thanks,
Chompy

My system is:
A7V, 1005a BIOS
TBird 900Mhz
128MB RAM 133MHz (working at 100MHz)
Seagate ATA100, 20GB (connected to ATA100 primary port)
CDROM ASUS x50 (connected to primary ide port)
ASUS V7700 deluxe, 6.49 drivers
SB Live 1024
WIN98SE

jobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your problem may be a bad memory location ( I used to get that backkk with win95 all the time ). When the system shows a corrupt registry its not testing the copy on the HDD, its testing the copy in RAM.

If you have two RAM sticks in the computer you may want to remove one and test it.

jObE

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This exact thing happened to me when I first got my A7V and reinstalled windows 98SE. I formatted my hard drive, installed Windows 98SE, and then took about 2 hours installing all the software I wanted back on and made sure it was all error free and even defraged my disk.
Then it happened, I rebooted and it said I had registry errors and it sent me back to a point before most of my hardware drivers were installed and before all my software was installed. I was devastated. Turned the computer off and tried to relax so that I didn't hurt my computer, myself, or others out of sheer frustration.
Next day, put on WinME and never had a problem since.
But I don't know how to fix the problem for Win98SE.
I think it is a Windows 98SE problem only and I don't think it is related to the fast shutdown issue because there is also a patch for WinMe for the fast shutdown issue and I have not yet installed it, but I have not had the problem.
This experience is one of the reasons I like Windows Me on my A7V, because my experience using Win98 on the A7V was very short and extremely unpleasant.

G

I've got only one RAM stick, and this problem only happens at boot up, so the registry must be the copy on the HDD... at least I think so.

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I too had this problem on my PC once, and it was indeed a defective memory module that caused the problem!!!

G

When the system starts, Himem.sys tests the RAM and no problems are found... is there any way to do a hevy test of it??

Thanks,
Chompy

jobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well the registry is loaded into memory as one of the first steps.
If you choose step-by-step on the boot menu you'll see.

jObE

G

This problem also happens on Socket 7 boards. It could be bad memory, but I've found that there is a Windows 98 (as well as Windows Me) fix for large IDE drive cache problem. I had similar problems on the a7v as well as an Epox MVP3-G5. Both had large udma 66 drives with large caches. After I installed the windows fix the problem went away.

You can find this fix by using the "Windows Update" selection from the Windows "Start" menu.

G

Only the fix for large drives or may I either use the WIN98SE shutdown supplement (the fast shutdown option in msconfig.exe won't be available)???

Thanks.

G

Sorry I assumed you would already have that on as it is an old fix. Certainly put it on. And put on all the critical fixes and the recommended fixes. The computer always runs better after, and only in RARE situations does it go worse.