How to short A7V cmos?

G

I'm still trying to breath life into my first A7V. Its a version 1.01. All I get is beeps and no post on startup along with a black screen. I was wondering how you know if you have properly shorted out the Cmos since there is no jumper. I pulled the Battery out but I read that the A7V stores energy in the capacitor so that doesn't short out the CMOS. I tried touch the two soder points w/ a scredriver but how do you know if you are succesful?
Thanks

G

Hmmmm....
The beeps may be trying to tell you something. Look in the manual as to what they might be trying to tell you.
If things are still a little confusing, just unplug everything, and start again from scratch. Follow the manual to the letter, and first see if things will run properly with just the mobo,CPU and fan, AGP and floppy drive. Before doing this short the battery momentarily, with the system unplugged (never touch anything while the power cable is plugged in) Remember to ground yourself too, by touching the PSU or some other grounded metal object in the room. If the products are not faulty, on first plugging in the power chord, the fan should whir momentarily, then go still. There should be a green led lit on the mobo itself. Now hit power (or short the mobo pwr jumper if you are working with the components outside the case, which is quite a good idea). With any luck you will see your graphics card information, and then get into bios. If this doesn't happen, and you have checked everything, then you'll have to start calling up your supplier. If everything works, power down and start putting things into the case. Then begin adding your other devices, and you should be fine from then on (maybe...but any problems are well documented in old posts here).
About the battery, I just shorted mine out momentarily, with the power chord unplugged of course, and it sorted my problem. See page 59 of the manual.

Hope this helps.

DESIGN TEAM

G

A7V have what I call SMART CMOS, you don't have to clear CMOS like before, it does it by itself, everytime when something goes wrong.

Most probality why it beeps is CPU/graphics not inserted properly. or CPU cracked if not fried. Cracked during installation of HSF.

As you know they are like FCPGA, so fragile, I get really nervous everytime I open it.

Best regards
cx5

G

Well if it is one beep and then three fast beeps your video card is fried. THat's what happened to me the first time I installed the A7V. Now I'm using some old crappy video card unitl I can get a replacement. I hope this didn't happen to you...