Why do I keep reading that Doom3 works best with the nVidia 6800? What is so
special about about that card?

On 5/5/2005 6:48 PM Nate brightened our day with:

>Why do I keep reading that Doom3 works best with the nVidia 6800? What is so
>special about about that card?

The 6800 class of cards is the best there is right now. nVidia's 6
series is pretty close to ATI's X8 series everywhere else, but nVidia
just handles Doom 3 and openGL in general better than the ATI cards do.
There is a base 6800 card a GT and an Ultra version. Which run for
6800:$250-300, GT:$350-400, Ultra $500+.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 5/5/2005 6:48 PM Nate brightened our day with:
>
>> Why do I keep reading that Doom3 works best with the nVidia 6800?
>> What is so special about about that card?
>>

> The 6800 class of cards is the best there is right now. nVidia's 6
> series is pretty close to ATI's X8 series everywhere else, but nVidia
> just handles Doom 3 and openGL in general better than the ATI cards
> do. There is a base 6800 card a GT and an Ultra version. Which run
> for 6800:$250-300, GT:$350-400, Ultra $500+.

and even the least of them, the 6800-128 meg, is a damn good performer!
McG.

>>> Why do I keep reading that Doom3 works best with the nVidia 6800?
>>> What is so special about about that card?
>>>
>> The 6800 class of cards is the best there is right now. nVidia's 6
>> series is pretty close to ATI's X8 series everywhere else, but nVidia
>> just handles Doom 3 and openGL in general better than the ATI cards
>> do. There is a base 6800 card a GT and an Ultra version. Which run
>> for 6800:$250-300, GT:$350-400, Ultra $500+.
>
> and even the least of them, the 6800-128 meg, is a damn good performer!
> McG.

Got myself a Point Of View 6800GT this past week (came from a FX5900) - wow!

Don't forget the 6600s in this conversation, too.

They are arguably the best band for your buck out there today.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Shinnokxz wrote:
> Don't forget the 6600s in this conversation, too.
>
> They are arguably the best band for your buck out there today.

And by band, I mean bang XD

--

"ShutEye" <no@no.no> wrote in message

>>> The 6800 class of cards is the best there is right now. nVidia's 6
>>> series is pretty close to ATI's X8 series everywhere else, but
>>> nVidia just handles Doom 3 and openGL in general better than the
>>> ATI cards do. There is a base 6800 card a GT and an Ultra version.
>>> Which run for 6800:$250-300, GT:$350-400, Ultra $500+.
>>
>> and even the least of them, the 6800-128 meg, is a damn good
>> performer! McG.
>
> Got myself a Point Of View 6800GT this past week (came from a FX5900)
> - wow!

I was using a Ti4600, 9800 Pro and FX5900 just prior to getting the
6800-128. My eVGA 6800 is a 'vanilla' card. 12p, 5v pipes, 128 megs
DDR 256bit memory. The pipes did not unlock. And it wouldn't run
Doom3 in absolute max details and res on my rig. So I bought a
eVGA6800GT. And it DOES do all that in Doom3. While the 6800 gets
pretty much all the eye candy, the 6800GT runs away with it :) Those
who CAN unlock the pipes and OC the 6800 are fortunate.
McG.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:08:41 +0000, McGrandpa wrote:

> I was using a Ti4600, 9800 Pro and FX5900 just prior to getting the
> 6800-128. My eVGA 6800 is a 'vanilla' card. 12p, 5v pipes, 128 megs
> DDR 256bit memory. The pipes did not unlock. And it wouldn't run
> Doom3 in absolute max details and res on my rig. So I bought a
> eVGA6800GT. And it DOES do all that in Doom3. While the 6800 gets
> pretty much all the eye candy, the 6800GT runs away with it :) Those
> who CAN unlock the pipes and OC the 6800 are fortunate.

Interesting. What do you mean by "the pipes did not unlock" and "those
who CAN unlock the pipes..." ?

Linux Registered User #327951

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:08:41 +0000, McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> I was using a Ti4600, 9800 Pro and FX5900 just prior to getting the
>> 6800-128. My eVGA 6800 is a 'vanilla' card. 12p, 5v pipes, 128 megs
>> DDR 256bit memory. The pipes did not unlock. And it wouldn't run
>> Doom3 in absolute max details and res on my rig. So I bought a
>> eVGA6800GT. And it DOES do all that in Doom3. While the 6800 gets
>> pretty much all the eye candy, the 6800GT runs away with it :) Those
>> who CAN unlock the pipes and OC the 6800 are fortunate.
>
> Interesting. What do you mean by "the pipes did not unlock" and
> "those who CAN unlock the pipes..." ?

With the "6800" you have the stock 12 pixel pipes and 5 texture pipes,
128 megs of DDR1 SGram and 256 bit bus. The "6800GT" has stock 16 pixel
pipes and 6 texture pipes, 256 megs of DDR3 SGram and 256 bit bus.

Some while back, someone discovered that the pipes on the 6800 were
locked down to their stock number of 12 from 16 and 5 from 6 in the
cards BIOS. RivaTuner provided a way to unmask or unlock those pipes.
If the unmask worked and 'stuck' properly, you basically have a budget
GT with 128 megs of slower ram because all the pipes work. This is
called the 6800 softmod.
I have a 6800 that this mod did not work on. No sweat, it's simply a
6800.
Inglo has a 6800 that this mod DID work on, so his card is using 16
pixel pipes instead of 12 and 6 texture pipes instead of 5. This makes
for a noticeable improvment in overall performance in applications with
lots of big textures. Like games :)

The 6800 GT offers more stock clock speed and 256 megs of DDR3 SGram,
which is even more noticeable improvement in performance in those
applications.

This softmod puts the modded 6800 right between the stock 6800 and the
GT. It's a nice step too.

HIH,
McG.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:14:16 +0000, McGrandpa wrote:

>> Interesting. What do you mean by "the pipes did not unlock" and
>> "those who CAN unlock the pipes..." ?

> With the "6800" you have the stock 12 pixel pipes and 5 texture pipes,
> 128 megs of DDR1 SGram and 256 bit bus. The "6800GT" has stock 16 pixel
> pipes and 6 texture pipes, 256 megs of DDR3 SGram and 256 bit bus.
>
> Some while back, someone discovered that the pipes on the 6800 were
> locked down to their stock number of 12 from 16 and 5 from 6 in the
> cards BIOS. RivaTuner provided a way to unmask or unlock those pipes.
> If the unmask worked and 'stuck' properly, you basically have a budget
> GT with 128 megs of slower ram because all the pipes work. This is
> called the 6800 softmod.
> I have a 6800 that this mod did not work on. No sweat, it's simply a
> 6800.
> Inglo has a 6800 that this mod DID work on, so his card is using 16
> pixel pipes instead of 12 and 6 texture pipes instead of 5. This makes
> for a noticeable improvment in overall performance in applications with
> lots of big textures. Like games :)
>
> The 6800 GT offers more stock clock speed and 256 megs of DDR3 SGram,
> which is even more noticeable improvement in performance in those
> applications.
>
> This softmod puts the modded 6800 right between the stock 6800 and the
> GT. It's a nice step too.

Great information, thanks for the excellent reply!

Linux Registered User #327951