HP Accidentally Posts Windows 7 Slate on Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokiardo

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
That tells us very little. Most every company is likely working on a tablet now. Put some specs in there, that'll be news =)

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It's funny when a company that has produced junk PCs says they aren't happy with Win7 which was a near perfect OS at launch. Maybe they just can't make a decent product that can run it? They should have stuck with printers since it is the only thing they are good at.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I think that in offeing the choice over two different slates, HP will be able to catch whichever trend catches on first- Webos or Win 7 (though personally I'm rooting for WebOS to be a serious challenger to the iPad, as I'm writing this from my iPad)

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The problem is that the iPad is the equivalent of a Windows CE device with a nicer user interface. Windows CE is an instant on system with internet connectivity and apps... Windows 7 is a full blown OS that cannot do instant on natively..

Microsoft should really work on a Tablet OS that is not based on Windows.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]The problem is that the iPad is the equivalent of a Windows CE device with a nicer user interface. Windows CE is an instant on system with internet connectivity and apps... Windows 7 is a full blown OS that cannot do instant on natively.. Microsoft should really work on a Tablet OS that is not based on Windows.[/citation]
The Windows CE platform is not even close to the grace of the iPad. If Windows CE was so great why is it basically dead. The motion sensor control built into Apples iPod, Iphone and now the iPad is just one cool features OS X light does for these devices.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
regulas, you did not read for comprehension. It was a comparison that AndrewMD made to the "instant-on" feature that is nearly required in a slate type product. It had nothing to do with the merits of Window CE as an OS. He was simply saying that Winows 7 can't be an instant-on OS by design (and Windows CE was).

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
[citation][nom]Insightdriver[/nom]regulas, you did not read for comprehension. It was a comparison that AndrewMD made to the "instant-on" feature that is nearly required in a slate type product. It had nothing to do with the merits of Window CE as an OS. He was simply saying that Winows 7 can't be an instant-on OS by design (and Windows CE was).[/citation]

lol just you don;t alot of POS are winCE, so as your ATM,...i mean ALOTTTTTTT devices are using WinCE, b/c it is a real-time OS, unlike stander windows, OSX, and Linux

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
P.S Windows Mobile is base on WinCE, most digital delivery system, such as Fedex, UPS 's scan pad are also using it, man CE is "EVERYWHERE"

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]The Windows CE platform is not even close to the grace of the iPad. If Windows CE was so great why is it basically dead.[/citation]
Have you ANY idea on just how many devices Windows CE is used?
From the xbox to the vast majority of GPSs, CE is everywhere, and in far far far greater numbers than the iTampon.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Have you ANY idea on just how many devices Windows CE is used?From the xbox to the vast majority of GPSs, CE is everywhere, and in far far far greater numbers than the iTampon.[/citation]

Err...XBOX? Where'd you hear that?

I've heard just about everything about the Xbox OS now--it came from the NT kernel--no, it was XP, right? No, no, no!!! It was Windows 2000, which was based off the NT kernel!!! And now...it's Windows CE?

Don't get me wrong, I know CE is everywhere, but I don't believe the Xbox OS is based off of it. I'm sure there could be some code fragments in there, along with fragments from other Windows OSes.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Insightdriver[/nom]regulas, you did not read for comprehension. It was a comparison that AndrewMD made to the "instant-on" feature that is nearly required in a slate type product. It had nothing to do with the merits of Window CE as an OS. He was simply saying that Winows 7 can't be an instant-on OS by design (and Windows CE was).[/citation]
I'm not sure if we should be excited by an OS that switches on faster so we can get nothing done quicker.
If you were given the choice of a 30 second boot but can run MS Office, attach a USB flash drive, edit pictures, print them on your printer, then drop copies on the flash drive to hand over, then relaxing listening to some music via iTunes.
Or.
Booting in less than 5 seconds and then fighting with the device to perform any of the above tasks, well, maybe not such a good idea.
Does your printer have a Windows CE driver?
Can you install Nero on Windows CE?
Photoshop?
iTunes?
This isn't power-user stuff, even the most basic luddite who has no real understanding of computers does photo editing, burning onto DVDs and listen to music.
Some will say that you can work around all that stuff if you do this and that and the other, but you have to make it accessible for the simplest part of the equation - the basic user.

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]The Windows CE platform is not even close to the grace of the iPad. If Windows CE was so great why is it basically dead. The motion sensor control built into Apples iPod, Iphone and now the iPad is just one cool features OS X light does for these devices.[/citation]

What a goon u are, he stated that it was the instant on which was similar u troll.

I would love a win 7 instant on for my htpc

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Windows CE is the best OS ever created. At least for mobile devices designed to do one specific task like a GPS unit for example. The best tablet operating systems are Android and Windows 7 (Android is better). Nobody needs Windows on what is nothing more than a snazzier looking netbook when they can have Linux.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Aw come ooon - i'm sick of these "oopsie-daisy..!" PR stunts the companies are pulling! All of the sudden everyone catches the hype! You can sell buckets of crap, but if you show it "accidentally" before releasing it people start having daydreams about what it CAN be, thus earning significant mind share. Sites like Tom's don't help very much in that...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]whiz[/nom]Aw come ooon - i'm sick of these "oopsie-daisy..!" PR stunts the companies are pulling! All of the sudden everyone catches the hype! You can sell buckets of crap, but if you show it "accidentally" before releasing it people start having daydreams about what it CAN be, thus earning significant mind share. Sites like Tom's don't help very much in that...[/citation]
People have been asking for a Windows 7 tablet since day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.