Why does Far Cry 2 run so well?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce-gtx480-sli_7.html#sect4

Those benchmarks show that you can run Far Cry 2 at 2560x1600 with AA and AF enabled, and still get a very smooth and playable framerate with a high-end gaming rig. While other games like Crysis, run at <30 fps on high resolutions. More than a single GPU in FC2 results in a huge increase in framerates too.

It's still very difficult to run games (especially Crysis and Metro) at 2560x1600, 1920x1080 is easy.

IMHO, FC2 looks graphically better than Crysis, and is playable with all of the eye-candy turned up as high as it can go. While Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Metro 2033 struggle with playable framerates even with 3-4 way enthusiast CF/SLI systems.

The "Dunia" engine is a work of art. The programmers who coded it deserve a nobel prize (constructive sarcasm).

its mainly because Farcry 2 seems to be more optimized than Crysis.For example, when I ran Crysis on my 8400 GS and E7500 at low settings I only got about 20 fps or so.But when I ran Crysis Warhead, with all the settings all low, I got 60 fps and more.Its mainly because of the optimizations. Some of high end rigs like i7 extreme and a 480 GTX still struggle to get high fps in Crysis than Farcry 2. So I guess its because of the optimization and also the type of engine that was used.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I didn't know that FC2 used a quad core...