Help! Windows security profiles

laird

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
One of our execs bought a new laptop last night and I have to support it. It's a Sony Vaio PCG-K23, big and heavy but fast (P4 3.0 w 512M)

The problem: SONY has put security restrictions on the laptop locking out the Administrator account. When I try to login as Administrator (I do have the correct password), it says "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction" This is Windows XP Home, btw.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to disable this?? (Note: XP Home does not have gpedit.msc)

I do have login access to another account that is a member of the local Admin group.

Thanks

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What ever account the user made when they first got the laptop should be an admin. If they arn't that will be the first time I've heard of windows doing that :) Usually any user accounts made during setup are admins by default.

Home really is just made for home. If this thing is going to be in a corprate environment it should really be running Pro.

Just for the heck of it try loging in as admin from safemode.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

laird

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
Well, definitely there is an Administrator account - I use XTeq (latest version for XPsp2) to control display/hiding it (successfully). Can't display/hide an account that doesn't exist!

I used ERD to crack the Admin password and the store account (this was a demo unit and still had the store account on it) and it worked fine -- always does. Best purchase our Dept ever made.

So... that leaves me with a gimped Admin account from this Sony-fied XP install.

I agree about XP Home in the Corp environment, but we don't need that particular laptop on the Domain and we're moving to Linux all around (servers and workstations) so this is only temporary anyway.

Anyway, still a *NOT* happy Sony Customer

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
try going into safe mode and get to the account that way. Or possibly delete the .pwl files

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

andrewweb

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Safe mode and pwl files? Neither of those options will help. Lay off the drugs :)

There are plenty of linux-based ISOs that can reset a password. Google is your friend :)