WOW Cpu , is it playable (Performance wise)

Samrocksnow

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hello,
I was wondering if my new cpu i bought would be good enough to play the new wow cataclysm game that just came out. I bought the Dell N7010(17R) with the i3 processor(2.4ghz,4threads,3M cache), 500-GB Hard drive, 6gb ram, with the standard graphics card and windows 7 ultimate 64-bit addition. I know that this will not run wow on ultra i was just wondering if it would run slow or not. Any help or input would be appreciated. Also, i was just wondering how this computer stacks up against a standard macbook pro since my friend insits that my computer is crap and his macbook is like a god.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
That will really depend on your GPU, if it's an Intel Integrated chip odds are it will run wow like total crap.

People will slag wow for looking bad but it still requires quite a large amount of computer resources to run the eye candy at a decent level at a higher resolution. The memory is perfectly fine, the processor is perfectly fine ... gpu probably not so much.

Do you know what kind of power supply is in the computer? If you plan on gaming at all you should probably invest in a $100 GPU if your power supply can handle it.

Samrocksnow

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

The laptop has a 6 cell lithium ion battery and the graphics card is an Itnel HD card so i guess thats the crap one? There is also this Dell 1501 802.11g/n wireless card
... but i dont know what that is... If i were to buy a new GPU for my computer and my budget was 175 -300 USD what should i get for gaming... any suggestions would help ty.

The CPU is fine, however the Intel HD graphics are bottom of the barrel for gaming purposes. The new WoW Cataclysm is much more GPU intensive than the original vanilla WoW used to be. Today WoW tends to be both CPU and GPU intensive. You may be able to play WoW if you turn your graphic settings down pretty low.

Because this is a laptop, you can ignore any suggestions to buy a better GPU as it's not really possible.

Performance is clearly relative here. Yes, the HD Graphics implementation is significantly better than anything Intel has offered in the past. Yes, you can play World of Warcraft on a Clarkdale-based processor (specifically, the Core i5-661—the only model with a 900 MHz graphics clock). But in order to do so, you’ll need to drop your resolution and detail settings so far as to make the game not enjoyable.
Source: Tom's Hardware Intel HD Benchmark on WoW January 2010 (pre-Cataclysm)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,2514-4.html

Keep in mind, the processor they used in this benchmark is better than the one in your laptop. :(