Stability problems with AMD system under win 2k

G

I having some rather odd problems with my new system that I recently put together. This is the first time I have done this so I'm not sure exactly how to diagnose some of the issues I'm experiencing. So if anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it. The system is

AMD 1ghz t-bird cpu
abit kt7-raid mobo
2x 128MB mushkin highperf 1.5 pc133 ram
ASUS 7700 pure geforce 2 gts
IBM 30GB 75GXP HD
Pioneer 105S DVD-ROM
SB Live! value soundcard
2x Linksys 10/100 etherfast LAN cards.

THe system is running directx 8.0 with the latest drivers. The problems I'm having is as follows:

1) Sporadically in games the system either locks up or pauses for a 3-4 seconds then keeps going.

2) on large LAN xfers the system blue screens or reboots itself.

3) I tried installing a second hard drive this also seems to blue screen the system.

What kind of an issue could this be? ANy suggestions on what I could try to diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carter

G

This is my night to feel useless. I can point you to the KT7 Faq at:

<A HREF="http://go.to/kt7faq" target="_new">http://go.to/kt7faq</A>

I'd click the "Instability" link on the left, first, and read through that section. There is a discussion of some specific issues with possible conflicts between NICs and sound cards, etc.

Mike

G

I would certainly be interested in hearing from you if you got your problem solved and how you did it.

G

looks like you have your pci slots almost maxed out, so, I have to ask what kind of power supply are you running? AMD certifies 250W pws's but i've seen a lot of people posting about intermittent problems that have less than 300w pws's.

btw I'm running w2k w/ abit kt7 rock solid for the last couple weeks while consistantly running seti@home (keeps cpu @ 100%), so I don't think it has anything to do with your os.

G

Thanks for the link going to try some of the suggestions there. I've managed to ameliorate/resolve some of the issues others Im not so sure about and a bit leery about testing at the moment until I correct some of the other problems. I suspect part of the problem was on one of the file xfers over the LAN the crash corrupted the WINNT directory so I've done a reinstall. The LAN issue is the big one for me now since I think I have the directx issue resolved.

Again thanks.

Carter Cheng

G

Ok well the system here comes with a 300w power supply so I think I'm ok in that regard. The problem I seem to be having is the system seems to like piling all my devices onto IRQ 11. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, if this is a problem or not, and how to fix it. When I brought the system up the first time they had different IRQ's now they are all the same... should I force the system to use separate IRQs even if there arent any resource conflicts and if so how?

G

I noticed I had this on so I turned it back off. Problem is this doesnt seem to reset where the IRQ's are allocated. I tried deleting devices and reinstalling them but this time they all piled on IRQ 7. Is there a way to force the ACPI to spread the devices out over multiple IRQs? I'm currently running the system under Standard PC so that the IRQ's are distributed better. If I could do it manually I think I could do a better job though.