Whats the deal with the a7v?

G

I just bought a rev 1.02 asus a7v motherboard and an amd 1100 thunderbird. when I install the chip, it will post at 1100 but lock up shortly after that. I also have a rev 1.01 a7v that I was going to use as a win2k server. when I install the chip in that motherboard it wont even get video.
I thought I had a bad cpu, but I just found out that a friend of mine just got an 1100 and an a7v that wont make it past post either.
the specs for the board say 1000+. just what is the limit for the a7v? I'v had no luck getting real specs off of asus's page
so far. the only way i could get the cpu to boot into windows on the rev 1.02 board was to disable the cache, but then it ran slower that my p-166 lol. I was planning on overclocking the 1100, but now id be happy if I can get it to run at 1100. anyone have any ideas to whats wrong?

Thanks
Rizzo

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of cooling are you using for the cpu? i had a problem with lock ups till i looked at the chrome orb that i was using and saw that it wasn't perfectly seated. i'm talking one side was a mm higher than the other. so i scraped off the stuff that came with it (which had the consistency of old bubble gum) and put on some other paste and i didn't have any more lock ups.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

just a stock cpu fan, but im not too impressed with it. so I ordered a globalwin fan. should be here in a few days.
I should at least get past post tho with a stock fan right?

has anyone gotten an 1100 to work with a a7v?

G

I overclock my 1 Gig to 1.1 ( 11 X 100 ), and 100% stabil. Have you look at the CPU temp is the Bios before it lock up?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The AMD website says that the A7V should work with TBirds up to 1.2 GHz so yours should work. If the seller can get it to work, you need to start looking at other peripherals such as powersupply, ram, video card.