Bad experience with FallOut:New Vegas

oops2001

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hi,
I Had seen good ratings and reviews about fallout series, so went to buy the title 'NewVegas', paid 50$ for it, installed it all fine...
I ddnt had any idea about the story, gameplay etc cze I have never played any title from the Fallout Series.
Game started fine, detected the hardware, set it on Ultra.
:O and..it looked like a 1995 PC game, poor graphics, worst texture (half life even in 1998 looked awesome and still is decent looking game).
Graphics 0.5/10..what a shame even in 2010 you are making this kind of crap looking games.
Game Mechanics even worst...the gun looked like as if it is made up of paper. No recoil nothing.eh, forget the physics or if the developers even know the word physics at all.
Gameplay...walking walking ..two rat like creatures came.bang bang...walking walking...scenery was amazingly ugly..stones omg,Super Boring quests..eh..reminded of far cry2..walking ...walking yawnzz. After an hour I had to uninstall it, what a lifeless unexciting game. Gave it to my friend he uninstalled it in the first 15 minutes.I have played mass effect 2 , another RPG..and what an awesome game it was, though i don't like non-linear story games but ME2 was good.
Now keeping myself busy with Civilization 5, playing the Civi game for the first time, very nice :).

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Well having played both games you stated, yes there is a huge difference, but for fallout, the first 2 hours are damn boring, but after that , as night falls, and you change location, you will see it will become nice, i had to hold on to like the game as I experienced what you stated at the start, now having finsihed it, i must say its quite good actually.. Give it a try, for longer..

oops2001

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I tried three times but everytime I ran out of patience as I ddnt find any element in the game to keep me stick to it. I guess right now I am thoroughly enjoying CIV5 , wow its damn addictive game :D, fallout mmm later sometime maybe...
cheers!!

oops2001

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Yes, If you have played CIV 4 thn u might start to miss few things--religion etc. but to me the tutorial part , IN-GAME UI was way too awesome. Still a little buggy..but will be patched completely.

madman559

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I had the same feeling about fallout 3 and new vegas. The first few levels are slow and boring. After you explore a bit and discover enough locations to fast travel around and get some of the better perks it gets much better. Personally I had a lot more fun with fallout 3. I don't really care for the faction system in NV. The game might be interesting if you could use your repair skill to get one of the thousand motorcycles in the game running.

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
The fallout 3 and new vegas are damn good games. The starting will be little boring but once the main story line starts then its hard to stay away from the game.I never played rpg games before and started with fo3 and i have to admit it was one of the best game i ever played . Same thing with new vegas.

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

New Vegas has it's issues but some of the things your noting don't add up.

Graphics - not the greatest but I never went in for the graphics and their still good enough to get immersed in the game play. Add some mods and tweaks from the Nexus and your golden. Adding things like weather effects, improved gun skins, better depth of view and general improvements. No, it can't compare with ME 2 but it still looks pretty good.

Game Mechanics - pretty much the same a 3 with some improvements and fine tuning made. The inventory system and general notes/quests are as straight forward as I want them to be. And I really liked the leveling up aspect though I wanted to get a perk every level instead of adding a mod for that.

Gameplay - Buddy, the bombs have fallen and the world has been turned into a wasteland, what did you expect? I prefer all the walking because you run into the odd parts of the game. Just getting out of Goodsprings alone did invlove a good bit of combat unless you were sneaking out or something. ME 2 also has a much larger portion of time in which nothings really going on at all (beaten it 3 or so times on 360 and replaying ME on PC).

The games not for everyone just like I dislike MW even if most others flock to it. It's just that your notes on it don't add up. It's like saying that Splinter Cell wasn't a great game because you had to spend so much time sneaking around rather than straight on combat. Not getting on your case for having an opinion, just expressing my own against yours. If you haven't already, try Borderlands. It has the straight on combat aspect while retaining some RPG elements.

If you want action go to quarry junction.

Yes, I've also taken a wrong turn and gotten more action than I ever wanted. No mercy whats so ever in a place like that.