Sign in with
Your question

Good ram, but classpnp.sys error on boot

Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2010 11:16:57 PM

I actually am using windows server 2008 r2, but im using it as a workstation, and i dont really see tech support for that os for consumers, so i guess ill just ask here.

IN SHORT: after adding ram, boot hangs after classpnp.sys loads

System is:

p6n sli-fi mobo

core 2 duo 6420

Nvidia 8800gts 320mb (evga)

old, working ram: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK

new ram : OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK

Assorted hdds (not in raid or anything)

What it does: with (and only with) new ram installed (either one or both sticks), does not boot into windows. F8 reveals that it hangs after loading drivers\classpnp.sys.

What ive done: switched around the ram, new and old, in pretty much every concievable configuration. Also ran memtest included on the windows cd AND memtest86+, and no errors show up. Searched for solutions online too.

Note timings do not match for sets of ram, but i set to slower settings(those of new ram).

Also note that ubuntu (and grub) boot and work fine with any combination of ram.

This error is really puzzling me, and i dont want to have to bother rma'ing what seems like perfectly good ram, so help me out if you can, please!
September 18, 2010 6:31:02 AM

God, somebody help me please. I have discovered after additional trial and error that as long as i have 2gb in, windows will boot, regardless of combination of old or new ram that add up to that. how can this happen?
m
l
!