Celeron on Asus P2B

G

Can I use a Slocket & Celeron 600+ on my Asus P2B?

Thanks in advance

Killerwombat

G

Yes, you can. But the older revisions of the mobo dont have the correct core voltage (minimum 1.85 V). I am using a P2BS with a celeron 633 at 100 Mhz FSB (=950Mhz) (core voltage 1.9 V) / Asus Socket adapter / Golden Orb cooling fan. Overall about 200 $ these days. Perfect upgrade in my opinion. Thats why i love these asus boards. Even under 100 % CPU usage the system is absolutely stable.

G

Can I use a slocket with variable voltages to avoid the minimum limit of my motherboard? In other words, does the motherboard and slocket voltage settings have to match?

Also, will my motherboard support >8x multiplier? I read somewhere that you reuse the really low multipliers (3.5x, 4x) and the motherboard/bios recognises them.

How hot does your processor reach? Is it possible (or easily done) to o/c a Celeron 667 or 700 to 1000 or 1050? I've got a Celeron 300A running at 450 easily, just wondering if it as easy to do.

Killerwombat<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by killerwombat on 12/26/00 10:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

1. Most socket adapters dont have own power supply so you can only choose a core voltage that is provided by your mobo. In case of the new celerons > 600 Mhz it should be 1.6V. Overclocking often requires higher voltages, so 1.85 V seems to be comfortable. I dont care if the CPU does not reach an age of 5 years (or even 2 years - for known reasons).

2.Multipliers dont have any effect using the celerons. They are fixed within the CPU. In case of my Celeron 633 it is 9.5. With a FSB of 100 Mhz you get 950 Mhz (or 978 with 103 Mhz). As already mentioned, i dont have any problem even under maximum CPU stress. Two other friends have the same system - without problems. Experiments with 600 Mhz (oc to 900 mhz) were not that successfull.

3. Temperatur: I am using a Golden Orb fan which is not the most powerful solution (see article on tomshardware). The temperatur is measured near the core sticked to the alluminium sourrounding the fan. With a closed case I get about 30 °C under low use conditions and a maximum about 49 °C (e.g. zipping large files / MP3-coding / games). In order to avoid heat problems i usually leave the computer case partially open what lowers the max. temperatures to 40 °C (depending on surrounding temp). Another reason for opening the case is my VERY hot Geforce 256 DDR burner...

4. I dont have any experiences with celerons > 633 Mhz (e.g. 700 Mhz - multipl. 10.5 / FSB 100 = 1050 Mhz). Maybe you find something about that in the overclocking section.