1005a on A7V 1.02 ???

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes or No ???

Right now I am running 1004d and Win98SE but I think I'll move to Win2000Pro soon.

Also: I've heard many people talk about some bios' making their chip "run cooler". It seems to me 'tho, that at *.*Volts, ****MHz and 100% load your chip is going to produce x watts of heat, regardless of the bios. The only way I could see it running cooler is if it were running slower and/or not working as hard.

Different bios versions may add different "compensation" values to the number reported by the temp sensor which would cause the displayed temp to change, but I don't think the actual chip temp would change. Hopefully AMD will include on chip sensors in their next generation of chips.

G

My a7v kept locking up all the time. When I upgraded the Promise drivers to Build 33 and the bios to 1005a, the problem was solved. So 1005a worked great for me.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most people who flash to 1005a say it solves their problems and runs fine. But I don't think it lowers the temp.
I am currently using 1004 and I don't have any problems and don't really know what the benefits or improvements are with the 1005a bios so I don't plan to flash until I have to.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,
I'm using a modified 1003 BIOS with the latest Promise BIOS..2.01 build 33... My CPU temps do run cooler. I'm using the same Probe version too. When I run the system hard (flight sims, etc..) the temps do get up there just like they did with the 1004 and 1005a BIOS versions that I have used, but when the system isn't under a load, the temps fall off to a nice, low reading. I'm not sure what they did to the 1004 series BIOS versions, but I'm happy with what I have now.
I had some lockup problems with the 1004a and 1004d BIOS versions. These seemed to happen whenever I was online using IE 5.5 and moving my mouse wheel. I've heard of several people having the same problems. I haven't had these problems with IE 5. Flashing to 1005a fixed these lockup problems, but the USB/printer related nightmares caused me to lose my marbles and try something new. I'm glad I did. Everything is running stable at 1100 mhz, 133 RAM speed, AGP 4x.. USB problems disappeared too.. Hmmmm.
Phil