Will this computer play World of Warcraft: Cataclysm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'm thinking probably yes, just not very smoothly. Thoughts? Please put all nerd-rage aside... I know this isn't a "gaming" computer but my brother is on a budget.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6701471

Acer Aspire AX3400-U3032 AMD Athlon II Desktop PC

Condition: New
Lifestyle: Entertainment
Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

PCI Express X1 Slots (Total): 1
PCI Express X16 Slots (Total): 1

Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Class: Athlon II X4
Processor Number: 640
Processor Speed: 3.0GHz
Processor Interface: Socket AM3
Processors Supported: 1
Processors Onboard: 1

Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Size: 2 x 2048MB
Total Memory: 4.0GB
Memory Speed: 1333MHz
Memory Slots (Total): 4
Memory Slots (Available): 2
Max Memory Supported: 8GB - 64-Bit OS

Hard Drives Included: 1
Interface: SATA
Hard Drive Types: Hard Disk Drive
Capacity: 1TB
Speed: Green Product (Variable Speed)

Audio Description: Integrated Audio
Audio Chipset: High Definition Audio

Graphics Description: Integrated Graphics
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9200
Video Interface: HDMI, VGA

WiFi Data Transfer Rate: up to 300Mbps
WiFi Description: Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
WiFi Standards Supported: 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

LAN Data Transfer Rate: 10/100/1000Mbps
LAN Description: Gigabit LAN
LAN Interface Type: RJ-45
LAN Ports: 1

Power: 220 Watt

Height: 10.4"
Width: 3.9"
Depth: 14.6"

Solution
I'm not sold on those inegrated graphics being able to play WoW (Cata) on even low settings because I do not believe it meets the minimum system requirements. I think that you will have to consider a graphics upgrade and (as mentioned by the other posters) a PSU upgrade as well. I think that if you look around you could find a graphics card that would work and possibly a PSU as well. If he hasn't already purchased this then I would continue to shop around if he wants to do any kind of gaming on PC. WoW may not be the most demanding game out there, but it still requires a bit more punch then this machine will deliver (as configured).

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
personally, I would upgrade the graphics card. if money is tight look on craigslist or something because many gamers will be selling there video cards after the coming holidays in exchange for a new one. Search for an ati 5770 or Geforce 9800 GT +/ Geforce 250 +, on craigslist you might be able to find one from $75 to $100 (or even less).

The biggest issues you have is the power supply to upgrade the video card. Although a used higher end video card can be cheap (I got my 9800 for $40), you would want a more robust power supply. 220 watt is very marginal even for a lower end video card to ensure you don't have any odd reboots, crashes.

Look here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,2782.html, even the lowest card on this list will play WoW pretty good on High setting. It "may" work fine with your current power supply, but an upgrade to that is about $50 or less. You can get a very usable system for games for about $100.

I would not expect good results from your base setup at anything over Low settings.

danfo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks for input, I had noticed the PSU was weak, but this being a mini-PC, I expect any GPU upgrades would be too large for the case anyway. Can anyone speak to this possibility?

Mini PC can cause issues with a full-size card and even a new PSU. Did not check your PC model when replying, sorry. But some of the mini PCs can hold a full-size card, open the case and see. The lower end gaming cards don't need a large cooling fan and are much shorter than the mid to high end stuff.

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I'm not sold on those inegrated graphics being able to play WoW (Cata) on even low settings because I do not believe it meets the minimum system requirements. I think that you will have to consider a graphics upgrade and (as mentioned by the other posters) a PSU upgrade as well. I think that if you look around you could find a graphics card that would work and possibly a PSU as well. If he hasn't already purchased this then I would continue to shop around if he wants to do any kind of gaming on PC. WoW may not be the most demanding game out there, but it still requires a bit more punch then this machine will deliver (as configured).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.