Sign in with
Your question
Closed

32-bit or 64-bit w/ 4GB of RAM laptop.?

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 2:51:00 AM

I have the option to have a 32-bit version unit with a max of 4GB total
or 64-bit version unit and it has 4GB of RAM but a possible max of 8GB.
both units run ddr2 800.
unit will be used for mostly when traveling or to have as back-up when needed and transferring files.
not used as a primary unit and not heavy gaming when in use.
opinions please.
thanks.

More about : bit bit 4gb ram laptop

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 3:30:37 AM

For Me,32 bit. With both my laptops I upgraded the ram to 4 Gigs and opted for 32 bit win 7. BUT I have a reason, Need to run some programs such as wavestar designed for win 98 (inface digital O'scope to laptop via Serial port. Also still use Dos and quick basic prof. which works under win 7 32 bit but not 64 Bit.

For most I recommend 64 Bit w/4gigs Unless you have a specific problem going the 64 bit route. If staying with 4 gigs, can flip a coin. Down side of 32 Bit (1) will not recognize more than 4 Gigs of ram (2) with 4 gigs you will lose from 0.5 to 1 gig of ram do to 32 bit memory mapping limitation.
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 4:42:16 AM

Hi malmental - With 4 GB of Ram I'd recommend 64-bit. The only reason I say this is that most 32-bit programs will run just fine with 64-bit Windows, but 64-bit programs will not work with 32-bit Windows. Also, 32-bit will not recgonize all the ram you available.

Maybe this will help you decide - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 10:42:43 AM

cassandraf_winteam said:
Hi malmental - With 4 GB of Ram I'd recommend 64-bit. The only reason I say this is that most 32-bit programs will run just fine with 64-bit Windows, but 64-bit programs will not work with 32-bit Windows. Also, 32-bit will not recgonize all the ram you available.

Maybe this will help you decide - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

Good info and thanks..!
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 2:28:29 PM

I love learning or re-learning.... Like a sponge.
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 4:29:24 AM

" Also, 32-bit will not recognize all the ram you available. "
So exactly what is the reason for the less than 4GB in x32.?

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2010 5:11:41 AM

Prefix - for MOST users I would recommend the 64 Bit version. This forum is principally a Gamers community and hardware enthusiast site. But there is case where 64 bit just is not practical.

malmental, your assessment that with 4 Gigs of ram more would be available in 64 bit operating system is correct. But “Also, 32-bit will not recognize all the ram you available.” is incorrect. 32 Bit operating system WILL recognize all 4 gigs of ram: However any hardware that maps memory will reduce the amount available to the operating system and programs. Typically with 4 gigs from 3 to 3.5 gigs will be available.
What affect this has is dependent on the user. If with 3.2 Gigs the user is not swapping memory in/out of the swap file then there will be no real noticeable diff.

Cassandra comment on will run most 32 bit programs is correct, what 64 Bit will NOT run is any 32 bit program that contains any 16 bit code (excludes the 2 high end win 7s that allow virtualization). For most that will not be a problem - For Me it would be a big issue at work. I do have Win 64 Bit on my main desktop and Vista 32 bit & XP 32 bit on by Back up desktop. On my two Laptops, both with 32 Bit Win 7 32 Bit. ALL computers have 4 gigs ram installed, and I can tell NO diff between 32 bit and 64 bit. In fact I’m thinking strongly of ditching 64 Bit and going back to 32 Bit. The only advantage with 64 bit is if I wanted to increase Ram above 4 gigs.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2010 10:46:03 AM

Best answer selected by malmental.
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 1:51:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!