G

Hi
I'm thinking on buying a Duron/Thunderbird system, and i can't make my mind up on what motherboard to buy.
I would like one with the ability to change the bus multiplyer settings (by BIOS or jumpers) and the fsb.
I would prefer one with the KT133A/686B chipsets from VIA (I want UDMA100 and 133Mhz fsb).
I think the Abit KT7A would be a good choice but I've heard some bad things about compatibility issues with the KT7, have they passed through to the KT7A?
I have no preference on the mb brand, but I would like one with these capabilities and a stable one. Do you know any wich is still not on the market but will be in 1 month from now?
Do you know of any mbs that support bus multiplyer alterations (with the pencil trick), other than the KT7 and A7V?
Thank you in advance!

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm, I'm curious as to what compatability issues have you heard of? (sorry i can't help your main problem, i'm still figuring things out myself) :)

thanks

G

I have heard so much about people with problems, it just got me a bit scared. But I also hear a lot of people who have absolutely no problems.
What do you think of the Epox 8KTA3?

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ABIT KT7 is a great board. If you have heard about a lot of problems, you have probably been reading in the wrong places. Most people only post in forums to ask for help when something doesn't work. Of all the product reviews I have read, the KT7 get's favorable reviews over negative 20 to 1. And for the functionality you want in changing clock multipliers and FSB, Softmenu III is definately the way to go, IMHO.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The MSI one is worth a look.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you may expect the same kind of compatibility problems (if they really exist) as with the original KT133 chip set as the boards are usually exactly the same but populated with the new KT133A chip set.