Problem with WVC54G linksys wireless camera

Ron

I purchased the WVC54G camera to replace my WVC11B model which is
working fine.

The camera was set up exactly like the WVC11B so I know it was
correctly configured and my network is correctly configured for port
forwarding etc.

The camera works using the internal IP or the WAN IP/port as long as I
am inside my network. From outside I can not connect. Again the
WVC11B works fine so I am positive there is a hardware or software
problem causing this. Linksys support confirmed that it should be
working and suggested I exchange the device. I decided to return it
instead since I really thought it was a software issue and not
hardware.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Is anyone using the WVC54G successfully from outside their own network
?

There is a new Firmware 2.07 which may address this issue however
linksys support can't explain to me what was fixed in the firmware
version. If anyone else is having this problem and is willing to try
this firmware I would really appreciate it if you let me know if it
works.

I'm running the older WVC11B. It was easy getting it to work on my LAN
(in house network), but getting it to work from a remote location was
very difficult. However, I finally did get it to work for a few days
but, all of a sudden, it stopped working again. I didn't change any
settings or touch it in any way....it just stopped working. This is a
shame because having remote video access to far away locations is
great. Too bad they can't make it easy for us to use.

On 12 Nov 2004 07:50:58 -0800, ron_gouldner@hotmail.com (Ron) wrote:

>I purchased the WVC54G camera to replace my WVC11B model which is
>working fine.
>
>The camera was set up exactly like the WVC11B so I know it was
>correctly configured and my network is correctly configured for port
>forwarding etc.
>
>The camera works using the internal IP or the WAN IP/port as long as I
>am inside my network. From outside I can not connect. Again the
>WVC11B works fine so I am positive there is a hardware or software
>problem causing this. Linksys support confirmed that it should be
>working and suggested I exchange the device. I decided to return it
>instead since I really thought it was a software issue and not
>hardware.
>
>Is anyone else having this problem ?
>
>Is anyone using the WVC54G successfully from outside their own network
>?
>
>There is a new Firmware 2.07 which may address this issue however
>linksys support can't explain to me what was fixed in the firmware
>version. If anyone else is having this problem and is willing to try
>this firmware I would really appreciate it if you let me know if it
>works.

I just got the WVC54G for christmas. Set it up both wired and wireless
and it seems to be working fine. I host my own website so I'm using
www.no-ip.com as a static IP. It updates your IP address every 30
minutes to a host name that you pick. Example (www.yourname.no-ip.com)
just set up port forwarding in the router for port 80 to the cameras IP
address and you can access it anywere. Just type in the host name
(yourname.no-ip.com) from any computer and it works great!

* The same thing should work with www.dyndns.org and several others. It
should also work with several wireless/wired routers by LinkSys and others,
as well as directly on Windows XP and Linux with the appropriate "Update"
client to update your Internet IP Address to the Dynamic DNS Provider.

---
Alan Spicer (a_spicer@bellsouth.net)
Systems, Networks, Communications,
Computers, Marine Internet Access