Replacing Drive in pavilion Tower 734n (drives can't come ..

It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
out!!

It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!

Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.

Thanks for anyone's insight

BF

--
Barry
Glen Head NY

    With most of the HP Pavilions I've stumbled across, one has to remove the entire
    plastic front bezel to extract CD or DVD drives and the floppy. I give them an
    extremely low rating for design with regard to system maintainability. High
    marks to Dell, IBM, Gateway. Carly, are you listening? Oops! Too late! Well,
    she never listened to anyone anyhow... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500, Henny bogan <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    >laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    >burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    >out!!
    >
    >It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    >impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!
    >
    >Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    >drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    >it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.
    >
    >Thanks for anyone's insight
    >
    >BF
    >
    >--
    >Barry
    >Glen Head NY

    How is it possible? have you done it? I couldn't even find the screws.

    Barry

    In article <4234730f.1547045@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers < @> wrote:

    > With most of the HP Pavilions I've stumbled across, one has to remove the
    > entire
    > plastic front bezel to extract CD or DVD drives and the floppy. I give them
    > an
    > extremely low rating for design with regard to system maintainability. High
    > marks to Dell, IBM, Gateway. Carly, are you listening? Oops! Too late!
    > Well,
    > she never listened to anyone anyhow... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500, Henny bogan <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    > >laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    > >burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    > >out!!
    > >
    > >It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    > >impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!
    > >
    > >Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    > >drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    > >it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.
    > >
    > >Thanks for anyone's insight
    > >
    > >BF
    > >
    > >--
    > >Barry
    > >Glen Head NY

    Somebody with more recent experience with HP boxes than I can probably explain.
    I've done it, but I can't remember how. Maybe 18 months and nearly 500
    computers ago. The computers all blend together after a while... Ben Myers

    Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:08:43 GMT

    With most of the HP Pavilions I've stumbled across, one has to
    remove the entire plastic front bezel to extract CD or DVD
    drives and the floppy. I give them an extremely low rating for
    design with regard to system maintainability. High marks to
    Dell, IBM, Gateway. Carly, are you listening? Oops! Too late!
    Well, she never listened to anyone anyhow... Ben Myers

    That's weird Ben. I have two different Pavilions here and they are
    the easiest thing in the world to remove the drive section.

    My 8655 ('99 era) has one screw near the bottom that needs to be
    removed first (I left it out for years now). Then there is like a
    mini car door handle to lift up on and the whole works (including
    the plastic front bezel) just slides right out the front. Very easy!

    My 7865 ('01 era) has one tab to push down on and the whole drive
    section just swings right out. No screws to undo or anything. So
    super easy.

    So I wonder Ben, if you are doing things the hard way?

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    Hi Berry... Did you visit HP's website and see this:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=296682&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph03429

    While it describes how to remove the HD, it also shows how the whole
    drive assembly pulls out.

    But hey, if you are still going to trash it, I'll pay for shipping
    and handling to throw it my way. As that is a better computer than
    any I have here. <grin>

    Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500

    It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    out!!

    It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!

    Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.

    Thanks for anyone's insight

    BF

    --
    Barry
    Glen Head NY

    Yeah, the drive carrier swings out pretty easily for easy access on many (but
    not all) Pavilions, but removing the front plasic bezel is often less than
    intuitive. I remain with the point of view that Pavilions are far less
    servicable than other brands, notably Dell, IBM, Compaq (yes, there is something
    for HP to actually learn from the Compaq acquisition!), and Gateway... Ben Myers

    Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:47:38 GMT

    Yeah, the drive carrier swings out pretty easily for easy
    access on many (but not all) Pavilions, but removing the front
    plasic bezel is often less than intuitive. I remain with the
    point of view that Pavilions are far less servicable than other
    brands, notably Dell, IBM, Compaq (yes, there is something for
    HP to actually learn from the Compaq acquisition!), and
    Gateway... Ben Myers

    Hi Ben... I need model numbers of the hard ones. That way I can look
    up on HP's website to see how hard they really are. As they all very
    easy from what I've seen.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    All I can say is that I have serviced a lot of HP Pavilions, and there are
    issues with the overall industrial design and design for maintainability for
    nearly all of them. I do not take notes about the ones I have serviced or
    whether the memory sockets were easily accessible (usually not) or how to
    replace a CD-ROM drive. If I did, my notebook would be the size of War & Peace.
    There is nothing in the design of the HP boxes that remotely approaches the ease
    of maintenance of IBM NetVista and ThinkCentre models and Dell Dimension and
    Precision models.

    Today I had to refurb and rejigger a 6-month old Dell Precision to meet the
    needs of one of my clients. Clamshell case opens easily. DIMM memory sockets
    are easy to access. CD, floppy and hard drives remove very easily. Spare drive
    mounting brackets are attached inside the chassis for easy deployment. I DID
    need a Philips head screwdriver, though, to attach the mounting brackets to a
    new hard drive, a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM drive. Took me a couple of minutes. I
    could relate similar scenarios about the ease of repairing and upgrading the IBM
    boxes. You don't think that I tell people to buy HP systems, do you?

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 03:44:12 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message =
    >Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:47:38 GMT
    >
    > Yeah, the drive carrier swings out pretty easily for easy
    > access on many (but not all) Pavilions, but removing the front
    > plasic bezel is often less than intuitive. I remain with the
    > point of view that Pavilions are far less servicable than other
    > brands, notably Dell, IBM, Compaq (yes, there is something for
    > HP to actually learn from the Compaq acquisition!), and
    > Gateway... Ben Myers
    >
    >Hi Ben... I need model numbers of the hard ones. That way I can look
    >up on HP's website to see how hard they really are. As they all very
    >easy from what I've seen.
    >

    >Cheers!

    >Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    >-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    I aint' throwin it out until it's not working. You really want to try
    to deal with that partitioned hard drive?

    In article <EfjZd.12254$Am6.7388@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, BillW50
    <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

    > Hi Berry... Did you visit HP's website and see this:
    >

    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=296682&lang=e
    > n&cc=us&docname=bph03429
    >
    > While it describes how to remove the HD, it also shows how the whole
    > drive assembly pulls out.
    >
    > But hey, if you are still going to trash it, I'll pay for shipping
    > and handling to throw it my way. As that is a better computer than
    > any I have here. <grin>
    >

    > Cheers!

    > Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    > -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
    >

    > "Henny bogan" <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500
    >
    > It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    > laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    > burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    > out!!
    >
    > It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    > impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!
    >
    > Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    > drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    > it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.
    >
    > Thanks for anyone's insight
    >
    > BF
    >
    > --
    > Barry
    > Glen Head NY

    Sure, I don't mind.

    Bill

    Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:57:26 -0500

    <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

    > Hi Berry... Did you visit HP's website and see this:
    >

    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=296682&lang=e
    > n&cc=us&docname=bph03429
    >
    > While it describes how to remove the HD, it also shows how the whole
    > drive assembly pulls out.
    >
    > But hey, if you are still going to trash it, I'll pay for shipping
    > and handling to throw it my way. As that is a better computer than
    > any I have here. <grin>
    >

    > Cheers!

    > Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    > -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
    >

    > "Henny bogan" <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500
    >
    > It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    > laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    > burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    > out!!
    >
    > It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    > impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!
    >
    > Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    > drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    > it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.
    >
    > Thanks for anyone's insight
    >
    > BF
    >
    > --
    > Barry
    > Glen Head NY

    OK it's already making funky sounds and they're not R&B related

    In article <pIq_d.11007$DW.1458@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, BillW50
    <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

    > Sure, I don't mind.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > "Henny bogan" <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:57:26 -0500
    >
    > I aint' throwin it out until it's not working. You really want to try
    > to deal with that partitioned hard drive?
    >
    > In article <EfjZd.12254$Am6.7388@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, BillW50
    > <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Berry... Did you visit HP's website and see this:
    > >

    > > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=296682&lang
    > > =e
    > > n&cc=us&docname=bph03429
    > >
    > > While it describes how to remove the HD, it also shows how the whole
    > > drive assembly pulls out.
    > >
    > > But hey, if you are still going to trash it, I'll pay for shipping
    > > and handling to throw it my way. As that is a better computer than
    > > any I have here. <grin>
    > >

    > > Cheers!

    > > Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    > > -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
    > >

    > > "Henny bogan" <Henny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:43:15 -0500
    > >
    > > It's about 2 years old. I've replaced drives and parts in tower's and
    > > laptops etc. I tried to change a drive in this tower ( CD-r to DVD
    > > burner) I took the screws out, plugs and the fuggin thing WILL NOT slid
    > > out!!
    > >
    > > It feels like there is something in the chassis that is purposely
    > > impinging the drive so you cannot get it out!
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what is up with this. I can tell the the internal DVD
    > > drive is going and apparantly I can't do anything about it except send
    > > it to HP which means I'll throw it in the garbage.
    > >
    > > Thanks for anyone's insight
    > >
    > > BF
    > >
    > > --
    > > Barry
    > > Glen Head NY

    lift the top there is a small hole take a small probe and push lightly
    in hole pull the cover out and up it should come off

Hewlett Packard Pavilion Computers