Start Menu Customizing

Berndusa

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Is there a way to customize or moidify windows 98 to make the Start > Programs display columns instead of scrolling? I thought I read somewhere a year or two ago on how to do this. But now that I want to try this, I can't find any info on how to modify this setting.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
try reg edit.com Seems to me that I saw something on there that would do it. I know it can be done I just dont remember how.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

Berndusa

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Yes, I kind of figured that. But, your post did jar my memory. I remembered an old utility that I downloaded years ago. RegRobot. It always simple modifications to windows, IE, System and Network settings to name a few. The registry key for scrolling a Start > Programs menu or changing it to column view was editable using RegistryRobot.

The setting in Windows 98 registry can be found in HKCU\Software\MICROSOFT\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced . The value (?) named StartMenuScrollPrograms must be added or changed to NO. This will make the Start > Programs menu display columns instead of one scrolling column.