Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will a portable Tablet (with discrete graphics) run these games?

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2010 9:24:22 AM

Hi,
I'm using a HP TM2 with the following specs: i5-UM430 1.2 - 1.75GHZ (speedboost, dualcore), 4GB RAM, ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5450 (512MB RAM).

Now im wondering if I can play the likes of Assassins Creed 2, COD:Black Ops, and other 'high-demand" games like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I've played Dirt 2 (demo) on the machine, and have had to set to a medium-high setting to get to the point where it feels responsive to my controls. Although at the higher levels it still looks okay, it just doesnt 'drive well' imo.

Advice on what setting levels for these types of games (in particular the three mentioned above) will work would be appreciated as well.

Cheers
Nathan
December 19, 2010 10:45:10 AM

I'm highly tempted to say not likely with that processor. If you can it will be at fairly low settings.
I don't know Mobile graphics enough to comment on that. However the equivalent desktop one would be acceptable...so probably.
December 19, 2010 4:19:49 PM

yep the desktop HD5450 is pretty decent... but this is mobility radeon... not sure what that means in terms of performance hits....

a 1.75GHz i5 is a poor CPU?? Its the top chip you can (currently) get in the TM2....
Related resources

Best solution

December 20, 2010 10:17:26 AM

It should run pretty much anything you throw at it, really.

The display is probably a 1200x768 or so -- so you aren't trying to drive a 1920x1080, so I suspect you can about max out on the built in panel. You might have to reduce your settings on an external panel.

That processor is an ultra low power i5, which means its going to take a performance hit compared to a "normal" proc. Its still an i5, though. Its just optimized to use a lot less power, especially when idle. Most gamers plan to keep it plugged in and prefer "normal" processors.

----

As a comparison my desktop gaming system has a Core2 processor (slower) and a HD5870 (faster)-- I suspect the real issue you will have is heat from the graphics card if you push it too hard. For laptops thats the tradeoff you always make. If you decide to play long gaming sessions I suggest you invest in an external fan unit to draw heat off the baseplane.

December 20, 2010 6:21:00 PM

Best answer selected by nathanbarlow.
December 20, 2010 7:46:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!