Can World of Warcraft Boost Your Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Doesn't surprise me considering playing with high end raiding guilds is very similar to a real world job. It requires a high amount of focus, time, energy, concentration, leadership, and teamwork.

Even applying to high end raiding guilds is very similar to building a resume on why you're qualified for the opening in a roster, much like why you would be qualified for an opening in a company.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
NO! Unless I am working in the game/programing industry or I am a "formor" WoW gamer, otherwise I will not say it will hurt my career for sure.. but I am sure the benifit and down side kind of equal out.

However if I am only a "light" (not extreme) WoW gamer, the stress relief can do something good on my work performence.

Talking about leadership.... well... even in WoW not everybody get to lead... and most of the "leaders" in there are hardcore gamers... which... being hardcore itself may hurt the career already...

It is great to learn the art of leadership... but playing WoW is not the only way... and appearently playing WoW is a more debatable way to learn leadership.

G

I find my life to be the opposite of this. I'm a natural leader in RL and routinely take charge of many situations and can manage them effectively. The reason I play WoW is to escape from the leadership role in my actual life and leave that up to others in a virtual world.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
my previous helpdesk had several top notch employees (including myself) that all played wow. after a while our boss started asking in interviews if they played wow or other mmorpgs. was kinda funny. he put 2+2 together years ago.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I doubt this entirely. It's just a silly video game. People act different online than in real life. It hasn't made my supervisor a better supervisor.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
1. Orginizational Skills
2. Teamwork
3. Social Skills
4. Leadership
5. Media Skills
6. Tactical Skills
7. Problem Solving
I'm sure I could think of more :)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I would say a WoW player who is in a leadership role in either a competetive pvp guild or raiding guild is likely in fact helping cultivate thier leadership skills. they learn to manage relationships between guildies and direct everybody toward a common purpose... but if the question is do they do this becaus eof wow or has wow just helped hone these already existing traits... I'd be more inclined to believe the latter.

as far as wow players and mmo players making better employees I'd argue along the same lines, the things that keep a person playing an mmo and grinding thier way towards a goal are things that make them good employees... vs say a casual halo player or MW2 player who might not play mmos because they take to much time and effort and they demand immediate satasfaction , these ttypes would liekly make worse employees. that said a person playing an fps on a more common basis and with a clan or competitivly might exemplify the same traits that are positive in SOME mmo players

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yeah, and all video game players would make great super-soldiers because our hand-eye coordination is so pronounced. Bull Sh*T. Face it, these people have nothing better to do than go around looking for correlations where they don't exist. Did the jackass do a scientific study, controlled variables, double-blind, or did he just find high-level management people who happen to also play WoW.

"Hey, my friends and I (who all met in WoW), all play WoW, that must mean whatever we're doing (playing WoW) must be the key to our success."

What came first, the intelligent person or the WoW player? My guess is that for every Fortune 500 CIO that plays WoW, there are 1 million Leeroy Jenkins.

hotchrisbfries

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]Doesn't surprise me considering playing with high end raiding guilds is very similar to a real world job. It requires a high amount of focus, time, energy, concentration, leadership, and teamwork.Even applying to high end raiding guilds is very similar to building a resume on why you're qualified for the opening in a roster, much like why you would be qualified for an opening in a company.[/citation]

Very true, they look at your past raid performances/achievements. Logs of your DPS/TPS/HPS parses. Availability of your schedule to raid when they do. If you are willing to change your spec for a personal loss to benefit the rest of the raid. And your general sense of humor and personality so that you're a "good fit" with the rest of the guild. Some even interview your past Guild Masters to see if the reason to why you left was on good terms or not.

And most importantly, being able to take criticism for improvement if your performance is lacking. The game has a huge list of helpful UI tools to improve your situational awareness during battles. And there are plenty of resources available on the web to show the math behind certain rotations/specs/gear and why they benefit you for improvement.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I love how people like to say that gamers are little wimps who cant interact with girls...I was a fullback in college. I had many "interactions" with girls and now have a amazing wife. One of the big 24 hour fitness gyms is right by a gamestop in my city. When I was buying ME2 I witnessed a couple of kids in letter jackets making weird movements(humping/robot arms)at this "geek" standing outside the store. He looked scared so i went over and bet them that if i could beat them in a race they would have to say sorry to this kid and not fuck with him anymore. Guess how that panned out.

ikaz

Distinguished
Has any one thought that those people may have just had natural leadership skills which intern meant they would exel in officer/guild leader role in Wow as well. I would like see a study where some one sucked as a manager/leader then was forces to play a MMO where there goal was to move up the ranks from member to guild leader and see how long that took and if those skills transfered to his RL job.

kamar6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
The first thing our HR department looks for on a Resume is if the applicant can Pwn Noobs. If it is not on the resume, than we assume the applicant is not confident in their noob pwning capabilities and thus will not be given an interview. If you can't pwn a noob than you clearly won't be able able to handle the daily job responsibilities.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I think it depends on what server you play on.

Since Summer started all of the bad attitude, know it all players started coming out of the woodwork on the server my wife and I play on. You know, the smartassed ones you can't reason with. This is most likely because school is out and the kiddies are on more. It is probably also do to a lot of Alliance to Horde transfers.

I don't play as much anymore and my wife is also getting irritated how the server has been taken over by these scrubs. The sad part is, it would cost too much money to transfer all of our toons to another server.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hahahahahahaha!!!! Some of you guys seriously think that sitting on your fat asses playing WoW all day is going to improve your leadership skills?

Real life is staging an intervention, and you're invited.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
*sighs* One more thing that makes it seem like I will have a harder time getting a job in the future.

"Have you ever played World of Warcraft?" "N-no" "I'm sorry but we just don't have a position for you".

G

Pro-tip: Anyone can be a leader but creativity comes naturally. You either have it or you don't. If I had to hire someone based entirely on WoW skill, I'd hire the raid leaders of the worlds best guilds who develop the strategies to defeat bosses that are then just copied by everyone else. A true leader will find a different way of doing something; a stale leader (think 99% of WoW players) will just follow a guide written by someone else.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
There are many different leadership theories that could be used to prove a % of people playing WoW have honed/developed their leadership skills in-game. Sure, there are a ton of people, just like in real life that are a**hats. There are also people who give up on real life when they play the game.

However, there are people who get on at a set time, with a group of people to accomplish a task. Organizing a raid (a serious raid) is not something easy to do (at least progression-wise). The set of skills required to handle the situation is very similar to the set of skills required by an irl leader - organization, communication skills, ability to handle diversity, etc.

Yes, there are many people who play WoW (or any other similar game) that may play too much, not go outside, weigh 500 pounds and not leave their chairs - but those are clearly not the people talked about in this article.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]mhughes81[/nom]I think it depends on what server you play on. Since Summer started all of the bad attitude, know it all players started coming out of the woodwork on the server my wife and I play on. You know, the smartassed ones you can't reason with. This is most likely because school is out and the kiddies are on more. It is probably also do to a lot of Alliance to Horde transfers.I don't play as much anymore and my wife is also getting irritated how the server has been taken over by these scrubs. The sad part is, it would cost too much money to transfer all of our toons to another server.[/citation]
just re-roll how long could it possible take? BOA can be used again and 1 to 80 is like a weeks work.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
why cant people just accept that games are not that good for you, they are a form of entertainment... yes there are some benefits but those people who actually get it would probably be successful without games even more. A lot of things that just entertain are a waste of time and can be bad for you and your health... so why are they always trying so hard to prove either the advantages or beat the negative sides... people need to find better things to do with there time... im sure a bit of gaming is ok but your also not going to get the experience...

i gamed a lot and its majority waste of time and money esp in MMO's yes i quit after few years because it felt like a JOB and not a game, so just cause i was successful in the game doesnt mean exactly that experience went into the real world (work) i still had a lot to learn and gain experience in my field

Status
Not open for further replies.