WoW closes upon entering password

fobnicat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I just built a new computer:

Phenom 2 x4 965
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
2x2gb G.Skill
Still running my 9800GT until I decide on which newer card to get (too many choices)

I have not played WoW in months but I figured I would check out Cata (probably a bad productivity choice). I copied my WoW folder from my portable HDD and updated it to Cata (including 4.01 patch = 10gig update, ouch) and now when I try to log in, the game simply closes. It will hang for just a moment and then closes to desktop.

I run Comodo Internet Security anti-virus, and WoW.exe is run as an administrator and is on the trusted files list.

Anyone have an ideas?

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If the repair doesn't work then I'd forgo the attempt at copying the files & just do a complete reinstall. I've never heard of anyone "copying" the WoW folder instead of installing it & have a strong feeling that this may be corrupting the file in some way. As stated by Mokomaki, it will be a pain without the games disks, but would be worthwhile.

fobnicat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Never had to do the repair. I was just about to do the repair and decided to try to log in one more time and it magically worked. I don't understand it, but all I know is it worked.

Oh and my friends and I have all been copying our game folders for WoW, EQ, Crysis, and several other games this way for years.