1st impressions

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

This is the most expensive game I ever bought. Cost me almost $1200.00!
Here is what came in the box:

a64 3200+ venice retail
2 x 512 corsair pc3200 value
rosewill x800xl pcie
chaintech vnf4/ultra
rosewill r710e lcd
a pretty lian li black case
plus some cables, drives, burners, and a thermaltake 420w silent pure
power supply.
some assembly required.

I played my first couple of hours last night and I am very impressed.
Scarey and beautiful all at once. I had goosebumps all over my body! My
biggest problem is forgetting to drop the flashlight and grab a gun. That
is not good for your health!

The new machine ran the game great. This was my first build. A couple of
comments on the components:

The rosewill was the cheepest x800xl card I could find and it is one hell
of a bargain. Comes with no bundle, lousy documentation, and 16 wonderful
pipes!

Nice mobo!

Power supply has stable rails, 2 fans, is quiet, and has way more cables
than I could ever use. Not just a lot of cables, but a lot of too long
cables. My biggest problem with the build was finding a place (I never
did) for the excess cables. I am talking one hell of a lot of very long
cables! I may cut some off.

Cpu is a dream. Running at 2.2gh without raising the temp at idle. Ran
doom3 2 hours and the temp went to 35c (31c @ idle) I have heard that it
can hit 2.5gh with the stock cooling? Oh well maybe someday.

Once I figure out how to benchmark in doom3 I will post some here. I
would be interested it what others are gettin w/simular setups?

don wasted my time on 5/24/2005 8:41 AM with the following:
> This is the most expensive game I ever bought. Cost me almost $1200.00!
> Here is what came in the box:

Didn't you reuse anything? Hardcore.

To benchmark in D3, just bring down the console (CTRL+ALT+TILDE or
CTRL+ALT+[key left of 1]) and type "timedemo demo1"

However, you should run this once for a "warm-up," and then run it three
times and take the average. The timedemo is EXTREMELY inaccurate
however. I was getting 26fps guesses, and I maintain 40fps stably.

I also recommend reading TechSpot's tweak guide to get the max
performance and detail out of that system you've got there (you might
even be on Ultra already)

http://www.techspot.com/doom3/doom3.shtml

--
-SnoopJeDi

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in

<snip>

Thanks for the info. I will check out that tweak guide. I had as much fun
tweaking q3 as playing and I bet I enjoy tweaking d3 too.
I let the game detect my hardware and it put me on high. I cranked up the
aa to 8x and let her rip. Ran like a dream. Beautful. No slowdowns that I
could notice (i was pretty busy shooting) and seemed very smooth.

Nope I didn't reuse a thing. Gave the old box to my daughter. Daddy needed
a new toy!

On 5/24/2005 6:11 AM don brightened our day with:

>SnoopJeDi <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in
>
><snip>
>
>Thanks for the info. I will check out that tweak guide. I had as much fun
>tweaking q3 as playing and I bet I enjoy tweaking d3 too.
>I let the game detect my hardware and it put me on high. I cranked up the
>aa to 8x and let her rip. Ran like a dream. Beautful. No slowdowns that I
>could notice (i was pretty busy shooting) and seemed very smooth.
>
>Nope I didn't reuse a thing. Gave the old box to my daughter. Daddy needed
>a new toy!

The whole tweaking thing just ain't what it used to be. I remember
altering one cvar here, one there, "hmmm how about r_subdivisions 20
today", then timedemoing to see what kind of change there was. All of
that was necessary for a 333 MHz Celeron and a Voodoo 3. These days all
I want is to max everything out; tweaking used to be a desperate search
to get games to run smoothly, now it's more like, "let's see what other
bells and whistles I can get turned on in this thing".

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Inglo <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in
<Snip>

> The whole tweaking thing just ain't what it used to be. I remember
> altering one cvar here, one there, "hmmm how about r_subdivisions 20
> today", then timedemoing to see what kind of change there was. All of
> that was necessary for a 333 MHz Celeron and a Voodoo 3. These days
> all I want is to max everything out; tweaking used to be a desperate
> search to get games to run smoothly, now it's more like, "let's see
> what other bells and whistles I can get turned on in this thing".

Inglo

Thanks to you and others in agq3 I was able to get q3 playable on a athlon
550 and a tnt2m64. :) Ahhh those were the days......