Failure for Wireless Links to Reestablish

Our network consists of a desktop and two laptops. The desktop is hardwired
to out Netgear WGR-614 router and the laptops use Netgear WR-511 wireless
PCI cards. The system has been working fine for the past year until we
installed XP Service Pack 2. Now, when we reboot, turn off and on, or even
go to standby mode, both laptops fail to reestablish their wireless links.
We must manually go into the PCI cards utility and reestablish the link.
After that everything works fine (until the next shutdown).

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:22:05 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bob & Nan"
<doubleday@citlink.net> wrote:

>Our network consists of a desktop and two laptops. The desktop is hardwired
>to out Netgear WGR-614 router and the laptops use Netgear WR-511 wireless
>PCI cards. The system has been working fine for the past year until we
>installed XP Service Pack 2. Now, when we reboot, turn off and on, or even
>go to standby mode, both laptops fail to reestablish their wireless links.
>We must manually go into the PCI cards utility and reestablish the link.
>After that everything works fine (until the next shutdown).

In the wireless config there are some counter intuitive settings to do with
"automatically reconnect" or something like that. Whatever they're set to,
change them.
--
Mark McIntyre

Can't find anything like "automatic reconnect". Any other ideas????

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:22:05 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bob & Nan"
> <doubleday@citlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Our network consists of a desktop and two laptops. The desktop is
>>hardwired
>>to out Netgear WGR-614 router and the laptops use Netgear WR-511 wireless
>>PCI cards. The system has been working fine for the past year until we
>>installed XP Service Pack 2. Now, when we reboot, turn off and on, or
>>even
>>go to standby mode, both laptops fail to reestablish their wireless links.
>>We must manually go into the PCI cards utility and reestablish the link.
>>After that everything works fine (until the next shutdown).
>
> In the wireless config there are some counter intuitive settings to do
> with
> "automatically reconnect" or something like that. Whatever they're set to,
> change them.
> --
> Mark McIntyre
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
> CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

> Newsgroups
> =----

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:16:18 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bob & Nan"
<doubleday@citlink.net> wrote:

>Can't find anything like "automatic reconnect". Any other ideas????

start...settings...networks.
double click your wireless network icon, select "properties"
select the wireless tab
select your wireless network in the list of preferred networks
click the properties button
(yes, I know the above sounds like you do the same thing twice - you don't,
its just MS trying to confuse us)
check the setting of "the key is supplied automatically" on one tab and
something else on the connections tab. I forget precisely which one did the
trick for me.

Also, please always use the group for communication, so that others benefit
from answers. I don't respond to personal email.

--
Mark McIntyre

I have not been "using windows to configure....." ; have been using the
Netgear utility to do this, it appears to be a little more user friendly and
powerful. So I changed to "using windows to configure....." and there are
the configuration choices you talk about. I chose them (actually
experimented with them for about an hour) and my system failed to acquire
the network at all after that. Switched back to Netgears utility and after
a lot of fooling around, got it back to where it was before I started.
Using the Netgear utility, you can watch it scan the channels and as it
passes through the channel my network is on, it pauses longer than on the
other channels but fails to acquire. It will keep doing this over and over.
If I then specifically select the network, it will acquire on the second or
third pass through the channels (the laptop is sitting three feet from the
AP). After that it works fine until the next time I turn off and back on.
Same old problem after that.