Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Doom 3 on a lan=something is wrong

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 24, 2005 7:35:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
misconfigured

What is wrong ?

More about : doom lan wrong

May 24, 2005 7:35:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Grunt wrote:
> When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
> connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
> misconfigured
>
> What is wrong ?
>

Sounds like the server is misconfigured. <ducking>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:35:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:35:53 +0200, Grunt wrote:

> When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
> connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
> misconfigured
>
> What is wrong ?

Your server is misconfigured.

Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can say.
Garbage in = Garbage out.

--
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Linux Registered User #327951
Related resources
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:17:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Grunt wrote:
> When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
> connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason:
> Server is misconfigured

Are you running it in dedicated mode? If, try this:

seta net_lanserver "1" //0=Internet, 1=LAN

Here all lines from my doomsrv.cfg file:

seta si_name "YOUR SERVER NAME" //server name
seta si_usepass "0" //0=no password, 1=password
seta g_password "***********" //server password
seta net_serverRemoteConsolePassword "**************" //rcon pass
seta net_lanserver "0" //0=Internet, 1=LAN
seta si_gametype "CTF" //deathmatch, tourney, team dm, last man
seta si_teamdamage "0" //0=no team damage, 1=team damage
seta si_fraglimit "10" //integer
seta si_timelimit "15" //integer (minutes)
seta si_maxplayers "8" //integer
seta si_warmup "0" //0=no warmup, 1=warmup
seta si_spectators "1" //0=no spectators, 1=spectators allowed
seta net_serverdedicated "1" //0=not dedicated, 1=dedicated
seta net_serverreloadengine "0" //0=no engine reload, 1=engine reload
seta net_serverallowservermod "0" //0=no server mods, 1=mods allowed
seta g_mapcycle "mapsroe" //filename
//seta si_map "game/mp/d3ctf4" // d3ctf1-4
seta si_pure "0" //0=not pure, 1=pure
seta logFile "0" //logfile on-off
seta logFileName "doomserverlog.log"
//seta net_serverClientTimeout "40"
//seta net_serverZombieTimeout "5"
seta net_serverMaxClientRate "8000" //max client rate
//seta net_serverSnapshotDelay "50"
//seta g_countDown "6" //warmup time ? UNTESTED
seta g_balanceTDM "1"
seta g_spectatorChat "1" //on-off spectator chat
//seta cycle_gametypes "0"
//omat arvaukset end
//seta g_voteFlags "1"
seta g_voteFlags "40"
//change map (32) + game type (8) = 40
//2 = time limit
//4 = frag/ point limit
//8 = game type
//16= kick player
//32= change map
//64= spectators
//128=next map
//254=all disable but restart now
//255=no vote on menu but all are enbale
//seta weapon_rocketlauncher "0"
spawnserver
May 25, 2005 5:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:00:23 -0500, Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:35:53 +0200, Grunt wrote:
>
>> When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
>> connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
>> misconfigured
>>
>> What is wrong ?
>
>Your server is misconfigured.
>
>Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can say.
>Garbage in = Garbage out.


Hmm, that is the only way I can describe the problem at the moment.
I have no idea what makes a server tick and if my description is lacking
information, someone with knowledge in server setup should ask the right
questions to help me.

Are you such a person or just garbage out ?


BTW, we tried to connect to a server in the multiplayer "find multiplayer game
section" and both computers was connected at once, but and a big but, none of us
could move at all and was sitting ducks to the other players. Ping was 999 on
both.

I fear that if I get a server running, that can be joined by the other computer,
the result will be the same ?


The server settings as I do it.:

Server name "Private game"
Server type "Internet", tried "lan" no change to how the computer fails to join.
Game map "frag chamber" or one of the other maps
Game type "Deathmatch"
Frag limit "5"
Time limit "10"
Max players "2"
Do warmup "no"
Allow spectators "no"
Dedicated "no"

Advanced server option.:

Use password "yes"
-
-
Reload engine on map change "no"
Allow server side mode "no"
Map cycle script file "mapcycle"
Pure server "yes"
Configure server rate "no change"

So where is it misconfigured ?
The connection speed is ADSL.
pc1/pc2 is connected to a router that is connected to the ADSL.

There are no trouble playing Hidden & Dangerous 2 on that system.
But H&D 2 do have a separate LAN/Internet setup.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:00:03 +0200, Grunt wrote:

>>Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can say.
>>Garbage in = Garbage out.

> Hmm, that is the only way I can describe the problem at the moment.
> I have no idea what makes a server tick and if my description is lacking

Things like what OS/version, dedicated server or not, basic computer
specs, etc...

> information, someone with knowledge in server setup should ask the right
> questions to help me.

LOL! Someone should ask you the right questions, huh? How about this:
How about you go out and do an easy search on setting up a server, and
follow the instructions you find. There are MANY MANY MANY sites out
there with the information you need. Go find it.

> So where is it misconfigured ?
> The connection speed is ADSL.
> pc1/pc2 is connected to a router that is connected to the ADSL.

Are the IP's of the two computers in the same subnet?

Go look up the info you need. It's not very difficult.

--
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:35:53 +0200, Grunt <grunt@postkassefejl.dk>
wrote:

>When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
>connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
>misconfigured
>
>What is wrong ?

when using a router to connect pcs via lan & internet you get a
private ip for each pc from the router & 1 public ip shared by both
pcs from the isp.
unless you specify lan only in the server config the server will be
confused as both pcs will seem to have the same [public] ip and not
different [private] ips.

dr ratt
------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
May 25, 2005 7:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 06:42:45 -0500, Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:00:03 +0200, Grunt wrote:
>
>>>Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can say.
>>>Garbage in = Garbage out.
>
>> Hmm, that is the only way I can describe the problem at the moment.
>> I have no idea what makes a server tick and if my description is lacking
>
>Things like what OS/version, dedicated server or not, basic computer
>specs, etc...
>
>> information, someone with knowledge in server setup should ask the right
>> questions to help me.
>
>LOL! Someone should ask you the right questions, huh? How about this:
>How about you go out and do an easy search on setting up a server, and
>follow the instructions you find. There are MANY MANY MANY sites out
>there with the information you need. Go find it.
>
>> So where is it misconfigured ?
>> The connection speed is ADSL.
>> pc1/pc2 is connected to a router that is connected to the ADSL.
>
>Are the IP's of the two computers in the same subnet?
>
>Go look up the info you need. It's not very difficult.

I have done that, the one on planetdoom. It did not help.

You are still garbage out.
May 25, 2005 7:40:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:05:24 +0100, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:35:53 +0200, Grunt <grunt@postkassefejl.dk>
>wrote:
>
>>When I create a server on my LAN (2 computers via a router on internet
>>connection) the 2 computer (client) can not join for this reason: Server is
>>misconfigured
>>
>>What is wrong ?
>
>when using a router to connect pcs via lan & internet you get a
>private ip for each pc from the router & 1 public ip shared by both
>pcs from the isp.

Understood. The private ip are 192.168.1.100/101 (pc1/pc2) the public starts
with 80, and is dynamic.

>unless you specify lan only in the server config the server will be
>confused as both pcs will seem to have the same [public] ip and not
>different [private] ips.

Yes, I have tried to set server type to LAN, and still it is misconfigured.
I have tried it on both computers, one at a time off cause.
We can play H&D 2 , Splinter cell - chaos theory and chessmaster 9000 on the
same system.

I have printed my doom 3 server setup in another answer in this tread.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:00:03 +0200, Grunt <grunt@postkassefejl.dk>
wrote:

snippy snip

>
>The server settings as I do it.:
>
>Server name "Private game"
>Server type "Internet", tried "lan" no change to how the computer fails to join.

i think this is the problem - doom 3 sets the server for lan or
internet or both. find the line in the config file that seems most
obvious and try 0,1 or 2.
i just saw the actual line somewhere in the last couple of days but
took little notice as i have no intention of running a d3 server. all
i remember is the 3-way argument to set server type.

dr ratt

------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
May 25, 2005 9:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:40:54 +0200, Grunt <grunt@postkassefejl.dk> wrote:


>>unless you specify lan only in the server config the server will be
>>confused as both pcs will seem to have the same [public] ip and not
>>different [private] ips.

Got it now, it was in the multiplayer setup where I have left it to dsl/cable
(logically in my head) instead of T1/LAN. Now everywhere I can set it to lan, it
is set to lan.
And it works now, thanks to your input.


I am getting the new addon. Hope there is no changes to the lan server setup.
Should I fix my doom 3 v.1.1 to v.1.3 before installing the addon ?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:55:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Grunt wasted my time on 5/25/2005 11:55 AM with the following:
>
>
> I am getting the new addon. Hope there is no changes to the lan server setup.
> Should I fix my doom 3 v.1.1 to v.1.3 before installing the addon ?
>

If you'd like to waste your time, go ahead.

--
-SnoopJeDi
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:06:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Grunt" <grunt@postkassefejl.dk> wrote in message
news:167991991vg8qa2nl419kq0ce93iv7u2fe@4ax.com
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:40:54 +0200, Grunt <grunt@postkassefejl.dk>
> wrote:
>
>
>>> unless you specify lan only in the server config the server will be
>>> confused as both pcs will seem to have the same [public] ip and not
>>> different [private] ips.
>
> Got it now, it was in the multiplayer setup where I have left it to
> dsl/cable (logically in my head) instead of T1/LAN. Now everywhere I
> can set it to lan, it is set to lan.
> And it works now, thanks to your input.
>
>
> I am getting the new addon. Hope there is no changes to the lan
> server setup. Should I fix my doom 3 v.1.1 to v.1.3 before installing
> the addon ?

The addon supplies patch 1.2, the 1.3 patch just released is seperate.

McG.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:05:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Grunt" <grunt@postkassefejl.dk> wrote in message
news:q5k891t24ve3tdih374ihuphblcoda882r@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:00:23 -0500, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote:
>
> >Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can
say.
> >Garbage in = Garbage out.
>
> Hmm, that is the only way I can describe the problem at the moment.
> I have no idea what makes a server tick and if my description is
lacking
> information, someone with knowledge in server setup should ask the
right
> questions to help me.

HAHAHA - What am I, your LAN consultant BITCH???

PAY me and I'll solve your problem in 10 minutes, punk!

--
ArWeFree
May 26, 2005 8:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 12:05:40 GMT, "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
in alt.games.doom
>"Grunt" <grunt@postkassefejl.dk> wrote in message
>news:q5k891t24ve3tdih374ihuphblcoda882r@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:00:23 -0500, Dan C
><youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote:
>>
>> >Seriously, with the lack of info you provided, that's all anyone can
>say.
>> >Garbage in = Garbage out.
>>
>> Hmm, that is the only way I can describe the problem at the moment.
>> I have no idea what makes a server tick and if my description is
>lacking
>> information, someone with knowledge in server setup should ask the
>right
>> questions to help me.
>
>HAHAHA - What am I, your LAN consultant BITCH???
No, only garbage out.

>
>PAY me and I'll solve your problem in 10 minutes, punk!

I did it 2 after a person gave me an idea, THAT WAS NOT YOU, PUNK.
!