XP-SP2 keeps on wanting to install HP695C after succesful ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.

I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.

All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
again.
When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
again that new hardware has been found etc.

How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?

Thanx
Menno
10 answers Last reply
More about wanting install hp695c succesful
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Did you install XP on a clean hard drive, did you install it as an upgrade over
    Win 98SE, or did you do something else to install it? As a rule, the XP (and
    Win 2000) upgrades do not go as smoothly as a clean install does.

    Unfortunately this is a no-win situation created by Micro$oft's brain-dead
    approach to software engineering.

    If you upgrade over an existing Windows installation, there are both good and
    bad news. The good news is that whatever non-OS software was previously
    installed gets carried forward with all its warts. The bad news is that all the
    accumulated sludge (a euphemism for what it really is) in the registry gets
    carried forward, leaving the potential to cause future instability. The other
    bad news is that some very old software may not run properly when carried
    forward to the XP environment.

    If you install XP on a fresh hard drive, you get a very fresh and clean registry
    and lose all your software applciations, which then need to be reinstalled or
    updated to run XP.

    I can only surmise that the older 695C drivers may be causing havoc.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:09:00 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:

    >After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
    >am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.
    >
    >I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
    >cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
    >After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
    >after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
    >either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
    >to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.
    >
    >All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
    >tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
    >again.
    >When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    >printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    >again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >
    >How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >
    >Thanx
    >Menno
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply.

    I'm not sure what happened as someone else installed XP for me.

    However the only real problem I encounter is the fact that at boot-up
    XP seems to think that the printer is not installed and starts up the
    found new hardware wizard. If I just cancel the wizard nothing seems
    to happen and I can use the printer and there are no further problems.
    It is more of an irritation than a real obstacle in using the printer.

    Is it possible to find old keys in the register that I could eliminate
    without risking removing current HP keys Or shal I just try and live
    with it?

    Menno


    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:32:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Did you install XP on a clean hard drive, did you install it as an upgrade over
    >Win 98SE, or did you do something else to install it? As a rule, the XP (and
    >Win 2000) upgrades do not go as smoothly as a clean install does.
    >
    >Unfortunately this is a no-win situation created by Micro$oft's brain-dead
    >approach to software engineering.
    >
    >If you upgrade over an existing Windows installation, there are both good and
    >bad news. The good news is that whatever non-OS software was previously
    >installed gets carried forward with all its warts. The bad news is that all the
    >accumulated sludge (a euphemism for what it really is) in the registry gets
    >carried forward, leaving the potential to cause future instability. The other
    >bad news is that some very old software may not run properly when carried
    >forward to the XP environment.
    >
    >If you install XP on a fresh hard drive, you get a very fresh and clean registry
    >and lose all your software applciations, which then need to be reinstalled or
    >updated to run XP.
    >
    >I can only surmise that the older 695C drivers may be causing havoc.
    >
    >... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:09:00 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >
    >>After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
    >>am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.
    >>
    >>I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
    >>cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
    >>After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
    >>after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
    >>either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
    >>to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.
    >>
    >>All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
    >>tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
    >>again.
    >>When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    >>printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    >>again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >>
    >>How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >>
    >>Thanx
    >>Menno
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    I think I would try booting up the system, cancelling the new hardware wizard,
    then deleting the printer. Next, do a cold reboot, let the hardware wizard find
    the printer and install the drivers. With some luck, the printer will be
    installed permanently and you'll be rid of the annoyance.

    The wizard is not so wizardly which is why I think it is the height of arrogance
    for Micro$oft to call it a wizard. And, yes, I detest the damned word, because
    so many wizards have failed before... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:32:57 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply.
    >
    >I'm not sure what happened as someone else installed XP for me.
    >
    >However the only real problem I encounter is the fact that at boot-up
    >XP seems to think that the printer is not installed and starts up the
    >found new hardware wizard. If I just cancel the wizard nothing seems
    >to happen and I can use the printer and there are no further problems.
    >It is more of an irritation than a real obstacle in using the printer.
    >
    >Is it possible to find old keys in the register that I could eliminate
    >without risking removing current HP keys Or shal I just try and live
    >with it?
    >
    >Menno
    >
    >
    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:32:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    >(Ben Myers) wrote:
    >
    >>Did you install XP on a clean hard drive, did you install it as an upgrade over
    >>Win 98SE, or did you do something else to install it? As a rule, the XP (and
    >>Win 2000) upgrades do not go as smoothly as a clean install does.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately this is a no-win situation created by Micro$oft's brain-dead
    >>approach to software engineering.
    >>
    >>If you upgrade over an existing Windows installation, there are both good and
    >>bad news. The good news is that whatever non-OS software was previously
    >>installed gets carried forward with all its warts. The bad news is that all the
    >>accumulated sludge (a euphemism for what it really is) in the registry gets
    >>carried forward, leaving the potential to cause future instability. The other
    >>bad news is that some very old software may not run properly when carried
    >>forward to the XP environment.
    >>
    >>If you install XP on a fresh hard drive, you get a very fresh and clean registry
    >>and lose all your software applciations, which then need to be reinstalled or
    >>updated to run XP.
    >>
    >>I can only surmise that the older 695C drivers may be causing havoc.
    >>
    >>... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:09:00 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >>
    >>>After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
    >>>am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.
    >>>
    >>>I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
    >>>cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
    >>>After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
    >>>after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
    >>>either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
    >>>to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.
    >>>
    >>>All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
    >>>tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
    >>>again.
    >>>When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    >>>printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    >>>again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >>>
    >>>How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanx
    >>>Menno
    >
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    No Ben, but thanks.
    I had already tried this but not being as stubborn as Micro$oft I gave
    it another try and did what you suggest, however I looked more closely
    this time.

    At the end of the wizard (the driver info is taken from XP) I get the
    following message, which is not the literal text as I am translating
    from Dutch:

    ----------------------------
    This hardware can not be installed

    There is a problem with the intsallation of this hardware:
    HP Deskjet 695C

    An error occured during the installation of this appliance.

    The system cannot find the indicated files.

    Then Click on Finish.
    -------------------------------

    Which I do, I can then printa testpage, use the printer but up comes
    the wizard again :-(
    So not withstanding the fact that XP "thinks" it hasn't found the
    necessary files, all is installed.

    So who'se nuts?

    Regards
    Menno


    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:13:25 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >I think I would try booting up the system, cancelling the new hardware wizard,
    >then deleting the printer. Next, do a cold reboot, let the hardware wizard find
    >the printer and install the drivers. With some luck, the printer will be
    >installed permanently and you'll be rid of the annoyance.
    >
    >The wizard is not so wizardly which is why I think it is the height of arrogance
    >for Micro$oft to call it a wizard. And, yes, I detest the damned word, because
    >so many wizards have failed before... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:32:57 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what happened as someone else installed XP for me.
    >>
    >>However the only real problem I encounter is the fact that at boot-up
    >>XP seems to think that the printer is not installed and starts up the
    >>found new hardware wizard. If I just cancel the wizard nothing seems
    >>to happen and I can use the printer and there are no further problems.
    >>It is more of an irritation than a real obstacle in using the printer.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to find old keys in the register that I could eliminate
    >>without risking removing current HP keys Or shal I just try and live
    >>with it?
    >>
    >>Menno
    >>
    >>
    >>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:32:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    >>(Ben Myers) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Did you install XP on a clean hard drive, did you install it as an upgrade over
    >>>Win 98SE, or did you do something else to install it? As a rule, the XP (and
    >>>Win 2000) upgrades do not go as smoothly as a clean install does.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately this is a no-win situation created by Micro$oft's brain-dead
    >>>approach to software engineering.
    >>>
    >>>If you upgrade over an existing Windows installation, there are both good and
    >>>bad news. The good news is that whatever non-OS software was previously
    >>>installed gets carried forward with all its warts. The bad news is that all the
    >>>accumulated sludge (a euphemism for what it really is) in the registry gets
    >>>carried forward, leaving the potential to cause future instability. The other
    >>>bad news is that some very old software may not run properly when carried
    >>>forward to the XP environment.
    >>>
    >>>If you install XP on a fresh hard drive, you get a very fresh and clean registry
    >>>and lose all your software applciations, which then need to be reinstalled or
    >>>updated to run XP.
    >>>
    >>>I can only surmise that the older 695C drivers may be causing havoc.
    >>>
    >>>... Ben Myers
    >>>
    >>>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:09:00 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
    >>>>am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.
    >>>>
    >>>>I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
    >>>>cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
    >>>>After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
    >>>>after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
    >>>>either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
    >>>>to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.
    >>>>
    >>>>All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
    >>>>tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
    >>>>again.
    >>>>When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    >>>>printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    >>>>again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >>>>
    >>>>How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >>>>
    >>>>Thanx
    >>>>Menno
    >>
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Now you undoubtedly detest Windows wizards more than I do. Unfortunately, the
    HP web site does not offer relief in the form of a separate download of a 695c
    driver for XP.

    Two other possibilities that may or may not work:

    Disconnect the printer, delete the printer's icon from the list. Now reinstall
    the driver while the printer is disconnected, and do not print a test page.
    Power down the computer, connect the printer and reboot.

    The most dangerous approach of all would be to manually delete all references to
    the 695c from the Windows registry. I've become pretty confident at doing
    registry edits with regedit and have not messed up a system in years. But if
    one does not have the same sense of comfort, it is not worth doing. Too easy to
    mess up.

    After these two possibilities, I have run out of suggestions. Good luck.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:26 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:

    >No Ben, but thanks.
    >I had already tried this but not being as stubborn as Micro$oft I gave
    >it another try and did what you suggest, however I looked more closely
    >this time.
    >
    >At the end of the wizard (the driver info is taken from XP) I get the
    >following message, which is not the literal text as I am translating
    >from Dutch:
    >
    >----------------------------
    >This hardware can not be installed
    >
    >There is a problem with the intsallation of this hardware:
    >HP Deskjet 695C
    >
    >An error occured during the installation of this appliance.
    >
    >The system cannot find the indicated files.
    >
    >Then Click on Finish.
    >-------------------------------
    >
    >Which I do, I can then printa testpage, use the printer but up comes
    >the wizard again :-(
    >So not withstanding the fact that XP "thinks" it hasn't found the
    >necessary files, all is installed.
    >
    >So who'se nuts?
    >
    >Regards
    >Menno
    >
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:14:16 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Now you undoubtedly detest Windows wizards more than I do. Unfortunately, the
    >HP web site does not offer relief in the form of a separate download of a 695c
    >driver for XP.

    Let's say I detest Windos period.
    I use Opera as a browser, Forte Agent as newsreader and Eudora as
    mailprogramme, that says enough I guess :-(

    >Two other possibilities that may or may not work:
    >
    >Disconnect the printer, delete the printer's icon from the list. Now reinstall
    >the driver while the printer is disconnected, and do not print a test page.
    >Power down the computer, connect the printer and reboot.

    I did this. At the point where I reinstalled the printer, XP asked
    whether I wanted to use the available driver or wanted to install a
    new one. I confirmed for the new one (which obviously is the same one,
    but that stupid OS doesn't know that) all went well. Power down,
    connect printer, reboot and up comes that idiot Wizard again. After
    cancelling it I checked whether the printer was working and of c ourse
    it was.

    >The most dangerous approach of all would be to manually delete all references to
    >the 695c from the Windows registry. I've become pretty confident at doing
    >registry edits with regedit and have not messed up a system in years. But if
    >one does not have the same sense of comfort, it is not worth doing. Too easy to
    >mess up.

    Now here I agree. I feel uneasy about messing around with the
    registry. Also I've had a look and there are so many keys with
    695C................

    >
    >After these two possibilities, I have run out of suggestions. Good luck.

    Well, thanks for taking all this trouble to help me out.
    Regards
    Menno Nykerk

    >
    >... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:37:26 +0100, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >
    >>No Ben, but thanks.
    >>I had already tried this but not being as stubborn as Micro$oft I gave
    >>it another try and did what you suggest, however I looked more closely
    >>this time.
    >>
    >>At the end of the wizard (the driver info is taken from XP) I get the
    >>following message, which is not the literal text as I am translating
    >>from Dutch:
    >>
    >>----------------------------
    >>This hardware can not be installed
    >>
    >>There is a problem with the intsallation of this hardware:
    >>HP Deskjet 695C
    >>
    >>An error occured during the installation of this appliance.
    >>
    >>The system cannot find the indicated files.
    >>
    >>Then Click on Finish.
    >>-------------------------------
    >>
    >>Which I do, I can then printa testpage, use the printer but up comes
    >>the wizard again :-(
    >>So not withstanding the fact that XP "thinks" it hasn't found the
    >>necessary files, all is installed.
    >>
    >>So who'se nuts?
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Menno
    >>
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi Menno...


    "Menno" <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote in message
    news:v22e31d62knutoutdbvkeknc9e4neradav@4ax.com...
    > After installing XP I have had problems with this printer, although I
    > am not sure that the problems didn't start after SP2.
    >
    > I had previously been using the 695C (with win98SE) through a parallel
    > cable which went through my Iomega Zip drive.
    > After XP or SP2 and a new driver the printer kept on producing paper
    > after a first printed sheet. As the Zip drive wasn't working correctly
    > either I disconnected the zip drive and hooked the printer up directly
    > to my PC and did a clean install with the XP driver.
    >
    > All is well, the printer does what it should do, but at boot-up the PC
    > tells me it has found new hardware and wants to install the printer
    > again.
    > When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    > printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    > again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >
    > How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >
    > Thanx
    > Menno

    I'm not sure if I can be of any help or not, but hopefully may help others
    help with some questions.

    When you do a clean install of XP it has a different directory structure to
    an upgrade. An upgrade will keep the previous version's directory structure.
    It's been a long time since I've seen 89 in action, so I forget the
    differences in structure, but someone else here may suggest the differences
    and help you to identify if it was an upgrade or a clean install.

    When you install the drivers for the printer, do you also install the
    software for it too?? and from a CD??
    If so, try going to the control panel/ add remove programs and uninstall any
    software that relates to your printer. Reboot without your printer
    connected, and then delete the directories on your C drive that relate to
    the printer.
    Reboot.
    Then without the printer connected, reinstall all the software and drivers
    again.
    Reboot.
    Connect the printer and see if that helps.

    If you just install from a file on your hard drive...
    Check what operating system it's specifically meant for, say 98se for
    example.
    Then right click it and select properties, and then the compatibility tab.
    Set the compatibility to the version of windows it's designed for and click
    ok.
    Then try installing it as mentioned above.

    I've had problems with some programs not working correctly in XP and found
    setting the compatibility to it's preferred version of windows has fixed it.

    If all that fails or you can't do the compatibility thing, once it's
    installed, right click the printer under printers and faxes and select
    properties. Click the advanced tab and you should see the driver option.
    Click change driver and follow the wizard, but tell it you want to manually
    select the printer driver instead of it doing it for you. It will show you a
    list of compatible drivers, and select the one that is from HP instead of
    the one from windows and click ok and let it install. Then reboot and see if
    that helps.
    I know sometimes windows tries to use it's own driver as it thinks it's
    better than the hardware's drivers which isn't always the case, so manually
    selecting the hardware's drivers can fix things.

    Having said all that, I was a big fan of HP's products until I bought a
    second hand HP scanner which is supposed to work in XP, but it's been a
    nightmare just getting it to work, and windows keeps forgetting it's
    connected, and the HP software also forgets it's connected, so I've replaced
    it with a Canon scanner which works really well, although a little slower,
    but it does some things the HP scanner does not do.

    Good luck

    Steven
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:09:00 UTC, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:

    > When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    > printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    > again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >
    > How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?

    Dumb question (I usually cross the street when XP comes my way): is there a
    question mark symbol for the printer in the device mangler? If so, you
    could try to deactivate it and live happily ever after...

    Hartmut

    --
    Please use 'Reply-to' for personal e-mail.
    Bitte fuer direkte emails 'Reply-to' benutzen.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:29:38 +1100, "Steven"
    <stevennospamcf@_n_o_s_p_a_m_gmailnospam.com> wrote:

    >Hi Menno...

    >When you install the drivers for the printer, do you also install the
    >software for it too?? and from a CD??

    I did when I had 98SE, but removed everything later. Then when I
    installed XP the drivers on the CD that came with the printer [in 1999
    :-) ] were not acceptable to XP and I installed with the driver that
    XP has available in ntprint.inf

    >If so, try going to the control panel/ add remove programs and uninstall any
    >software that relates to your printer. Reboot without your printer
    >connected, and then delete the directories on your C drive that relate to
    >the printer.
    >Reboot.
    >Then without the printer connected, reinstall all the software and drivers
    >again.
    >Reboot.
    >Connect the printer and see if that helps.

    I've tried it all. I must say that I also had an extremely helpful
    (Dutch) HP helpdesk where they tried a lot of solutions for a problem
    that seems to be an XP problem and nothing seems to help.

    Now I must say that I end up with a perfectly installed printer that
    prints a testpage that gives all the details and also prints from any
    other application that I use.
    The only irritating aspect is that everytime I reboot my machine it
    tells me that new hardware has been found, that it is a HP695C printer
    and then starts to run the "normal" MS installation wizard.

    So what I do I just click on cancel and leave it at that. If XP seems
    to be so stupid that it doesn't understand it's own drivers that is
    too bad, but I'm prepared to give that extra click at start-up.

    >Having said all that, I was a big fan of HP's products until I bought a
    >second hand HP scanner which is supposed to work in XP, but it's been a
    >nightmare just getting it to work, and windows keeps forgetting it's
    >connected, and the HP software also forgets it's connected,

    So actually there seems to be some incompatibility between HP and
    Windows, although as I said above the driver that is in use at this
    time is a driver that comes with XP and there is a driver for a large
    amount of HP printer models. Also for elderly old ladies like my 695C

    Thanks again all you guys, with your input and help.

    Cheers
    Menno
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:04:08 +0000 (UTC), "Hartmut Krafft"
    <hk_spamkuebel@mail.ru> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:09:00 UTC, Menno <mennonykerk@nomail.rd> wrote:
    >
    >> When I cancel the install wizard and do nothing, all is well and
    >> printing goes without a hitch. At next boot-up there comes the message
    >> again that new hardware has been found etc.
    >>
    >> How can I make XP understand that there is no problem?
    >
    >Dumb question (I usually cross the street when XP comes my way): is there a
    >question mark symbol for the printer in the device mangler? If so, you
    >could try to deactivate it and live happily ever after...

    No, no question mark.

    See my reply to Steven's posting above.
    Thanks.
    Menno
Ask a new question

Read More

Hewlett Packard Hardware Windows XP Zip Disk Printers Computers