How good will this PC be for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Intel i5 650 3.2GHz Dual-Core HT Processor with HT enabled (four cores altogether)
Sapphire Radeon 6850 HD 1GB DDR5 GPU
4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz RAM
700W Coolermaster Extreme Power+ PSU
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD 7200.12 RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Just wondering what you folks think. Hoping to be able to run most modern PC games on very high settings.

Solution
... yes gratz... however gotta tell u, there will always be bottlenecking, by some tiny degree, it is near impossible to remove bottlenecking, it is one in a million chance to find a group of components that use just the right amount of juice from each other.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

I probably will when Sandy Bridge is released. For now, though, most games don't even fully utilize the quad core processors so a 3.2GHz CPU w/ hyper threading would be more than sufficient for today's modern games, I would safely assume.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Yes, sandy bridge will be out soon,- Wait-
AS for quad core- not well assumed, my quad at 3.6 ghz, is eaten up in gta 4 ;) Some games eat up all resources, and demand more, a quad core is a must for gaming- , Get a quad if you plan on gaming well, when sandy is out- ;)

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Yeah I will probably pick up an i7 9xx in the next several months if prices drop substantially. The only reason that I am waiting so long is because I already went out and bought everything and pieced the PC together. All I need now is Windows 7 and a monitor. The only games I intend on playing for a while is CS: Source and Left 4 Dead 2, and maybe WoW. That's it. This build will be great for what I intend on doing with it for the next few months until the prices drop down.

How much would you assume the i7 9xx to drop down in price within the next five-six months?

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Your processor will not let you utilize other components like memory, G-card and the extreme power supply you hv. So in a way running i5-650 which is only a dual core in real sense, you are wasting the money you hv spent on the other pieces.

^^I don't think so! That proccy is quite capable of handling all the components that he has, with room for more. Its just that some games need more cores, so the suggestions for a quad core is flying around.

And from when did PSU's started becoming a reason for bottlenecking/cramping??? PSU is just stable power that all!

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

How much power is drawn by a card or processor is also dependent on application you are running. In extreme racing games, or GTA with full setting MAX , try running your bike on a straight road and then take some steep turns, you will immediately notice more draw in power.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

I have to agree with hell_storm. Do you even really know what you're talking about? I am assuming not. To reiterate, the processor in itself will allow me to run my components very well, and then some more to add on to it. I know what I am doing. I did my research, made sure that all of my components were compatible with one another, and a got a sufficient power supply (by a pretty good brand, too)..

Bottle-necking with the components that I have is impossible.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

:lol:

indeed you hv a nice PSU, infact more then nice. Your other components are good too.. however if you did a research how come you ended with a dual core processor?

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Simply because of the fact that modern day games don't fully utilize the quad core processor just yet. A dual core processor with extra threads will suffice. I would give it two years to three years before games start fully utilizing the quad core processor. When Sandy Bridge comes out, I will probably splurge on an i7 850 processor (when the prices come down to around $200). Just for the hell of it.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

If you did your research and know what you're doing, why ask for "how good will my PC be?" It seems you already knew this answer and are just fishing for "it will rock man, GRATS OMG!"

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
... yes gratz... however gotta tell u, there will always be bottlenecking, by some tiny degree, it is near impossible to remove bottlenecking, it is one in a million chance to find a group of components that use just the right amount of juice from each other.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.