Sign in with
Your question
Closed

WOW computer build? or fix my AMD quad core

Last response: in Video Games
December 22, 2010 4:28:46 PM

Hello,
I have a computer that has always performed sub par in my opinion on world of warcraft. i have a AMD quad core with 8 gigs of ddr2
and a EVGA GTX460 1024mb of GDDR5
and a 600 watt PSU in a HP desktop.
in busy areas i lag terribly like 1-5 fps and i feel it should be doing better. i heard there was an issue with amd not geting as good fps as intel, so i am thinkning about building or buying a new computer with a I5 or I7. possibly a AMD6core if it would fix the problem. does anyone out there know why my curent computer performs so poorly in WOW.
i can have it in ultra and get 40 fps in wide open areas but in good setting i can hardly move in busy towns.

Best solution

December 22, 2010 8:03:40 PM

What model AMD Quad Core is it? Phenom? PhenomII? What frequency does it run at ?

My AMD PhenomII 955 BE doesn't break a sweat running WoW at Ultra Settings @ 1920x1080 res. I do OC my CPU a little bit... 3.6ghz. I run a different Graphics card as well (ATI 5870), but the lowest I see my FPS dip to is around 30 FPS in really busy areas.
December 22, 2010 9:17:41 PM

I would think it has something to do with your CPU. Your CPU should be able to run WoW no problem. Maybe there is a problem with the processor not running on all cores or something. I have the same Video card as you but I have 4G of DDR3 ram and AMD 6 core. I run at 60fps every were I go.
Score
Related resources
December 23, 2010 1:02:55 AM

Can you provide more info on the CPU? You should be running WoW on ultra with no lag with those specs. How is your latency when you encounter the lag/FPS stutter?
Score
December 23, 2010 1:09:23 AM

By the way, if you do follow through on a new build & your only performance concern is WoW then roll with a higher clocked i5 (you don't need a quad and certainly don't need a hexa core CPU to run WoW on ultra). I run on ultra on a Core 2 Duo clocked at 2.88GHZ & a GeForce GTX 260M (1GB/mobile card) and I'm getting 60FPS with VSync enabled (30+ in crowded cities).
Score
December 23, 2010 1:11:36 AM

mwohrlin said:
I would think it has something to do with your CPU. Your CPU should be able to run WoW no problem. Maybe there is a problem with the processor not running on all cores or something. I have the same Video card as you but I have 4G of DDR3 ram and AMD 6 core. I run at 60fps every were I go.

agg i found you again talking about your cyberpower pc, your very self-centered :~)
Score
December 27, 2010 8:08:51 PM

deathbydoubleG said:
agg i found you again talking about your cyberpower pc, your very self-centered :~)

Ok dude. Thats a little creepy that you are forum stalking me.
Score
December 31, 2010 4:55:47 PM

mwohrlin said:
Ok dude. Thats a little creepy that you are forum stalking me.

Lol, I wasn't. I was waiting for my question to be answered and everything I clicked on had you talking about your machine :D ... It just seemed kind of self-centered... It didn't help him/her

And I was In a bad mode after my question got no replies :D 
Score
January 2, 2011 3:16:32 PM

OK sorry about the slow reply but i did build a new one. i beleive the problem was wth the cpu. it was a cheap black friday special and only 2.2ghz. i made a I5 quad core 2.8ghz with 6 gigs of ddr3 used my same video card and im getting 50-200 fps with vertical sinc disabled. thanks for the responses.
Score
January 2, 2011 3:19:00 PM

Best answer selected by danielmillertime1.
Score
January 3, 2011 2:02:27 AM

Sorry to burst the bubble. WoW is single threaded with SOME tasks handed to a 2nd core. A blizzard tech rep made this clear.

If you play wow a fast duel will beat any quad, and day of the week.
Score
January 3, 2011 4:50:52 AM

sinfulpotato said:
Sorry to burst the bubble. WoW is single threaded with SOME tasks handed to a 2nd core. A blizzard tech rep made this clear.

If you play wow a fast duel will beat any quad, and day of the week.

that is if each of the dual cores are faster then the each of the quads.

if 1 core of the quad is = 100asdf (just a random reference measurement unit i made up on the spot where higher=better)
and 1 core of the duo is= 85asdf

then the quad would kill the duo any day even in single threaded, single cored stuff.

could you please direct me to the super fast duals...

most modern high end fast core CPUs are 4 core chips and if i am not mistaken an average i5 core is faster then the average core core.

the i5 also OCs better

plus ddr3 ram is usually faster
Score
a b À AMD
January 3, 2011 11:38:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!