lg 4500 as modem for laptop

francis

Hi,

I'm looking for some help. All I want to do is use our LG 4500 phone as a
modem for our laptop, running XP, to dial into our ISP using our current
Verizon America's Choice plan. Nothing else. Going on cross country vacation
and want to occasionally be able to access email and the internet.

I've searched the newsgroups and googled the subject but suprisingly can't
seem to find a simple answer to this question. I'm told it can be done.

What do I need to purchase and how do I do it?

Thanks for any knowledgeable assistance.

Francis King
frk43@adelphia.net

"francis" <h> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some help. All I want to do is use our LG 4500 phone
> as a
> modem for our laptop, running XP, to dial into our ISP using our
> current
> Verizon America's Choice plan. Nothing else. Going on cross country
> vacation
> and want to occasionally be able to access email and the internet.
>
> I've searched the newsgroups and googled the subject but suprisingly
> can't
> seem to find a simple answer to this question. I'm told it can be
> done.
>
> What do I need to purchase and how do I do it?
>
> Thanks for any knowledgeable assistance.
>
> Francis King
> frk43@adelphia.net

All you need is the Mobile Office Kit from the Verizon Store or Online
Store or the FutureDial cable from radio Shack that is made for your
LGVX4500. After you run the Mobile Office Set up CD (there are 2 of
them) One is a drivers CD and the other is Programs you will need to
operate more efficiently. Cost varies but once it is loaded on the
laptop or even a desktop the program creates duplicate ISP dialup
connections (Follow the directions) after that you hook the cable to
the laptop and then to you telephone open the phone and click on the
dial up connection. it will if set up properly dial up your ISP and
you are then connected.

Please note there is per minute costs if you go over your allotment of
plan minutes. But you could also do this after 9 PM and any time on
the weekends and it would be free.

I hope that helped?

Elector

francis

Thanks for the replies and the information. That is what i needed to know.
I'll go buy the mobile office kit tomorrow.

I can usually figure things out or find what I need on the 'net but I was
really getting frustrated on this subject and Verizon was no help at all. 3
calls, 3 different answers.

Francis King
frk43@adelphia.net

"francis" <h> wrote in message news:po2dnZHepPBKVczcRVn-uA@adelphia.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some help. All I want to do is use our LG 4500 phone as a
> modem for our laptop, running XP, to dial into our ISP using our current
> Verizon America's Choice plan. Nothing else. Going on cross country
vacation
> and want to occasionally be able to access email and the internet.
>
> I've searched the newsgroups and googled the subject but suprisingly can't
> seem to find a simple answer to this question. I'm told it can be done.
>
> What do I need to purchase and how do I do it?
>
> Thanks for any knowledgeable assistance.
>
> Francis King
> frk43@adelphia.net

While the kit makes it easier, you can also do it very easily without,
especially with XP.... Just pick up a futuredial cable at radio shack. Since
you are using XP there is no real problem, it is only the cheap people that
have the older versions of windows (like 98) that have problems..

You can even use the higher speed 1x stuff in many places (all verizon
native and some extended areas), there is one thing you absolutely
positively have to do, you can NOT call the ISP via their regular dial-up
number (your post leads me to believe that is what you plan on doing). 1X
will be way over the max 52/56K dial-up can handle.. Has to be #777
(contacts to the verizon network directly, and has to be the number dialed
by the dialer, don't do it from the phones keypad). Gives you connect speeds
up to 10 times faster than QWK2NET.