What do I get? A7v or KT& RAID

G

I am building a new computer, and am not planning on a DDR MB. I have been looking at both the ASUS A7V and ABit's KT7-RAID. I would like to get some addvice from people already using the boards. Basically the both sound good to me, just looking for some user imput. Thanks James

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i had the a7v, great board, very stable for me. Not to bad for oc'ing as well. 800@950

but kt7 has raid.... that would be cool, and i think the kt7 is a little better at oc'ing if that's important to you.

but you can't go wrong with either.

G

You would most likely want to avoid the RAID setup. Many people dont know just how much they are putting their data at risk by using a RAID 0 set up. If one of your HDDs crash you will lose the data on BOTH HDD as you will need to reformat the other one. A more stable set up is RAID with parity--which requires at least three HDDs. Just a thought. BTW A7V works great for me.

256 chickens that can say "bok" simultaneously while laying eggs asynchronously in 64-bit glory.

G

The only advantage you would get is speed. However, you are now working with two HDD (asuming you want to go RAID 0). The information you will read/write will be spread over these two HDDs. This being done, you need to take into account the failure rate of BOTH HDDs, not just the one that you have now. Hence, there is an increased percentage in the likelyhood that you will experience a HDD problem (because we're dealing with two HDDs not one). Because the information is shared between the two HDDs it would take a fix to BOTH HDDs to resolve some of the more serious issues that could come up. This is why your data is at a greater risk when you do this. RAID was originally developed for a networking environment where the speed of your HDD read/writes is crucial to the performance of your overall network.

256 chickens that can say "bok" simultaneously while laying eggs asynchronously in 64-bit glory.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
raid gives no advantage for 1 hd.

but, instead of buying 1 40 gb hd or 45....
i might buy 2 20's and run in raid 0

or whatever :)

G

woops! my bad--missed the one HDD bit. Jojo is right. W/one HDD you get nothing.

G

With only one HDD you don't get the benefits of RAID per se, but you do get 2 extra IDE channels (assuming we're still talking about the ABIT KT7-RAID), both of which support ATA/100. For example I have my HDD, CD-ROM, and CD-RW each as masters on their own IDE.