Your question
Closed

Microsoft Still Making More $$$ Than Apple

Last response: in News comments
July 23, 2010 11:28:30 PM

Oh, well i hate both companies
Score
July 23, 2010 11:28:50 PM

Respect!!! W00t Windows 7 is awesome, something that MS shoulda done in the first place for Vista. What I dont like is the fact that those who purchased vista got no upgrade or special deal for 7 :(  I hate vista, slow and laggy n stuff. If MS offers me a nice cheap upgrade from vista to 7 ill take it. And I bought Vista like 8/9 months before 7's release
Score
Related resources
July 23, 2010 11:29:43 PM

Win 7 has really saved MS here, otherwise Apple would have easily overtaken MS, but that become reality in the near future considering how things are going with Apple... their fan base is just crazy...
Score
July 23, 2010 11:30:31 PM

I wonder how much google made this year...?
Score
July 24, 2010 12:00:37 AM

Both tech companies are pioneers in this business, and so I am glad to see both of them do well.

I am also glad to see Apple catch up a little bit, not because I like Apple products, but because both companies will push harder to create better products when they feel threatened by one another. Which in the end can only be better for the consumer.
Score
July 24, 2010 12:12:53 AM

Don't go spend it all on some fancy record player, ya hear?
Score
July 24, 2010 12:14:35 AM

i really feel threatened by jobs' powers..i hope MS doesnt let him get ahead, ever.
Score
July 24, 2010 12:18:27 AM

We will see what apples next quarter is like when they have to factor in 3million cases that they have to give away.
Score
July 24, 2010 12:23:53 AM

tokenzWe will see what apples next quarter is like when they have to factor in 3million cases that they have to give away.

I'm sure the profit on each iPhone 4 is more than the 10 cents it costs to make a rubber case.
Score
July 24, 2010 12:28:35 AM

"Microsoft is still making more money than Apple."
Well, duh... For the same reasons that soccer is more popular than football.
Score
July 24, 2010 12:31:11 AM

Jane that pic should be used in the next TH's "Insert Caption Here" contest. Whatever happened to that Jane/TH Staff?
Score
July 24, 2010 12:51:54 AM

Strider-Hiryu_79Jane that pic should be used in the next TH's "Insert Caption Here" contest. Whatever happened to that Jane/TH Staff?

Yeah, what happened to that?, it was really funny...
Score
July 24, 2010 12:55:00 AM

OMG, Jobs will eat his liver out... maybe that's what happened to his first one.
:) 
Score
July 24, 2010 1:32:24 AM

So they are still ~ 10x bigger in computers.

Why is this news?
Score
July 24, 2010 1:32:27 AM

gaevsYeah, what happened to that?, it was really funny...

The pic above to me looks like he's saying "BOO-YAH!" :D 
Score
July 24, 2010 1:51:13 AM

It's time governments begin to use freeware. Unbutu, Open Office, Gimp and some other programs. A workstation has no real benefit of using microsoft product over a Linux platform.
Score
July 24, 2010 4:24:34 AM

redgarlIt's time governments begin to use freeware. Unbutu, Open Office, Gimp and some other programs. A workstation has no real benefit of using microsoft product over a Linux platform.

Really, no real benefit of using Windows in an environment with AD, Exchange, Sharepoint, OCS, SCCM, etc. etc.? Yes, our government should hire a ton of developers to develop a version of Linux that acts just like Windows in a Windows environment...or just use Windows...which is what they should and will do.

There's definitely a place for Linux, but it's not in replacing desktops in an environment like that.

Score
July 24, 2010 4:24:40 AM

Ya know... this is kinda reassuring. Seriously... like picking the lesser of two evils. MS is far less evil what with Gates and Allan throwing cash to charities like the shit grows wild.

And did I just see someone running with rampant misspellings and bad grammar call Jane an idiot? Nah... really?
Score
July 24, 2010 4:31:19 AM

ShloaderYa know... this is kinda reassuring. Seriously... like picking the lesser of two evils. MS is far less evil what with Gates and Allan throwing cash to charities like the shit grows wild.And did I just see someone running with rampant misspellings and bad grammar call Jane an idiot? Nah... really?

Gates has virtually nothing to do with MS anymore, and how that charity would have anything to do with making one company less evil than the other is beyond me. Both companies are not humans, they don't have emotions. They have directives and agendas and goals. Depending on your stance either could be evil and either could be good. Apple's agenda is to think of the user environment first, to turn a blind eye to what everyone else is doing and carve their own path. Microsoft's agenda is to provide software that is more or less utilitarian and generic so that it fits in many environments. Being creative is not one of their high points. Apple does hardware, Microsoft does very little. Microsoft is trying hard to capture some of what Apple is peddling, because, it genuinely is good stuff. When you've got 10s of thousands of Microsoft employees touting iPhones and iPods, it should tell you something.
Score
July 24, 2010 4:43:00 AM

Hmm, as long as people keep buying the crappy iPhone and the too expensive Windows 7, these things will keep happening.
Score
July 24, 2010 5:14:38 AM

mrmezSo they are still ~ 10x bigger in computers.Why is this news?

Isn't that exactly why it's news?
Score
July 24, 2010 5:33:32 AM

Apple is not intended for casual users, I think.
Score
July 24, 2010 5:35:15 AM

That's without a major product launch too. The iPad's launch is included though.
Score
July 24, 2010 5:53:27 AM

dEAneApple is not intended for casual users, I think.

I disagree. The layout is according to apple to be simple enough to be used by anyone, including the Casual user. although the products are expensive, i would say Casual users are included in their target market.
Score
July 24, 2010 6:45:10 AM

Strider-Hiryu_79Jane that pic should be used in the next TH's "Insert Caption Here" contest. Whatever happened to that Jane/TH Staff?

gaevsYeah, what happened to that?, it was really funny...

It's true, I haven't done a caption contest in a while. Busy, busy, busy in the office these days.

I'm on holidays next week, but I promise I'll do one the week after. : )
Score
July 24, 2010 6:45:55 AM

I am getting so tired of people ragging on vista.....if you have the current SP and updates and remove all the bloatware it runs just as well as Windows 7 does....

No one seems to remember that XP sucked too until SP2 was out
Score
July 24, 2010 7:00:37 AM

atdheWin 7 has really saved MS here, otherwise Apple would have easily overtaken MS

You really think that businesses would have thrown out their computers and got their IT departments to go fruity just because a Windows OS got some bad press? Many were planning on sticking with XP during the Vista era regardless of whether or not it was good.
Score
July 24, 2010 7:43:10 AM

Well done Microsoft, let's keep this going!
Score
July 24, 2010 8:06:50 AM

Windows 7 is a great product, imo by far the best OS ever (i said imo- dont quote me on this). im looking forward to seeing MS keep growing
Score
July 24, 2010 8:58:34 AM

well MS users have "GAMES FOR WINDOWS" ..what about apple users ??? "no games for MAC" or what ???
Score
July 24, 2010 9:49:41 AM

Go MS! Windows 7 rocked, though Windows Me is a bit hard to forget, in a bad way.
Score
July 24, 2010 10:48:30 AM

vestin"Microsoft is still making more money than Apple."Well, duh... For the same reasons that soccer is more popular than football.

Because you can't use your hands?
Score
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 1:26:58 PM

microsoft is quite capable at riding their monopoly wave, but pushing into new areas hasnt been so office/windows like at all.. their time wont last forever
Score
July 24, 2010 4:17:02 PM

As an early odopter of xp, vista, and 7. Windows seven has that same appeal of the best thing since sliced bread that XP had. Vista has caused some issues for me, memory management, network management, memory management, and leave me alone with the freaking UAC. I don't needor want to approve every time I or my wife opens the device manager. Network and sharing center isn't bad in vista, but I have had that portion of Vista fail and need a complete re-install, something I really hadn't experienced since the nineties.
All of which is addressed on windows 7
Score
July 24, 2010 5:45:50 PM

fayzaanRespect!!! W00t Windows 7 is awesome, something that MS shoulda done in the first place for Vista. What I dont like is the fact that those who purchased vista got no upgrade or special deal for 7 I hate vista, slow and laggy n stuff. If MS offers me a nice cheap upgrade from vista to 7 ill take it. And I bought Vista like 8/9 months before 7's release

This seems another prejudiced view of Vista. By the time W7 came out, the Service Packs released for Vista had made it just as stable and fast as W7 is. The major issue with Vista is that it wasn't like this from the start, where comments about it being slow and broken had a ring of truth about them.
Score
July 25, 2010 1:02:10 AM

Considering Microsoft has its claws in many areas of software and electronics, not really surprising.
Score
July 25, 2010 3:59:37 AM

Um Apple is still the big winner. How big is apple? How big is Microsoft. One billion dollars with a much larger company is not something that great to breg about. I love even with all the attention Apple has it still makes a small % of all computers. I think its sad that these companies make billions of dollars PROFIT any way. How much better would their products if they spent more of that $ on R&D or wages for their workers. (NOT CEOS)
Score
July 25, 2010 4:08:41 AM

Oh and any one look at the simularities between Windows Vista, and Windows 7? How about the deployment dates between them. Vista upgraded a lot at once, 7 was just a scape goat to get people to think they were getting a whole new OS and get over the "hate MS and Vista" phase. With all the updates that has come out by far the biggest difference between the two is DX11. My Vista currently has much faster start up/and shutdown on the same box. Other than that both OSes are able to use programs that I have not been able to use after Win 3.1.
Score
July 25, 2010 11:48:12 AM

Games for Apple not approved unless its an app or its Steve Jobs approved and doesn't rely on flash... And yes that was a joke ;) 
Score
July 25, 2010 2:45:30 PM

ShloaderYa know... this is kinda reassuring. Seriously... like picking the lesser of two evils. MS is far less evil what with Gates and Allan throwing cash to charities like the shit grows wild.And did I just see someone running with rampant misspellings and bad grammar call Jane an idiot? Nah... really?

that foundation is evil imho.....they pushing gm crops all around africa...even if you ignore the health problems in the end african farmers will be forever endebted to gmo companies (u gotta buy need seeds every year)
Score
July 25, 2010 6:38:05 PM

it isn't about making more money?! you can always get money even though you ran out of money! look at the banks! the banks lost a lot of money, which they gambled and took, and the government and the people are giving them money to stay open. so it's not important that microsoft got more money then apple.

microsoft charges the same product with different features enabled and disabled. from there, they charge high prices based on the features. i don't believe that is the case with apple os x. microsoft nickel and dime you, which explains why they make more money.

another example is the xbox live for the xbox 360. why is is necessary to pay for internet on a console but on the pc it's free. it's very odd! microsoft's earned money is through nickel and dime efforts.
Score
July 25, 2010 11:36:56 PM

This is good for Apple but a warning for MS, but fortunately MS deployed W7. I respect both, because I use products form both companies and I am not willing to write my own OS and build my own devices, I am a power user or a user, just that. But I hope MS to do better in the future. For me this is not a race and I want to do nothing with politics. I hope other big players to do well as we all benefit from this, even if you disagree with them.
Score
July 26, 2010 5:03:38 AM

Apple takes it's best shot at M$, and it still can't top M$...now, with WP7 rolling out and the new Xbox, the gap is going to grow again.
Score
July 26, 2010 11:02:34 AM

Drag0nR1derThis seems another prejudiced view of Vista. By the time W7 came out, the Service Packs released for Vista had made it just as stable and fast as W7 is. The major issue with Vista is that it wasn't like this from the start, where comments about it being slow and broken had a ring of truth about them.

Thank you. I always think that when people bash Windows Vista.
Score
July 26, 2010 1:19:02 PM

tokenzWe will see what apples next quarter is like when they have to factor in 3million cases that they have to give away.

about $.10 a case (made in china) = $300,000
they make about $400-$500 on each phone (depending on model; 16gig or 32 gig)
300k/400= 750 (600 of 32 gig) phones to make up for the loss on the bands..
Will not make any significant difference on their financial reports...
Score
July 26, 2010 2:17:36 PM

GodfailIsn't that exactly why it's news?

News, by dictionary definition is RECENT.
M$ have been bigger than Apple since the dawn on computers so id hardly consider this recent.
Its like turning on the 5 o'clock news and seeing: Headlines for today: Your home has electricity. Well, no kidding fkface. Tell me something i don't know.

Its funny tho, M$ being 10x as big (in computers only) isnt earning anything close to 10x as much.
Score
July 26, 2010 2:28:43 PM

Microsoft is the creator of Microsoft Office the most common Office software in the World of course they are going to make money. How can't they make money.
Score
July 26, 2010 2:48:22 PM

Marco925The layout is according to apple to be simple enough to be used by anyone, including the Casual user. although the products are expensive, i would say Casual users are included in their target market.

You're just drinking Apple's kool-aid. Their systems are not any easier to use, they're just marketed that way, and you personally buy into it.
Score
July 26, 2010 5:54:23 PM

Bings market share is up because almost every word you move the mouse over does an auto bing search for users. It's weeeetarded....
Score
!