Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • RAM
  • Games
  • FPS
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
December 24, 2010 9:40:18 AM

HI, I need some advice on how to improve frame rates in computer games, given below are my specs:

Phenom II x4 965BE, OC to 4.0 ghz
HD 5750, OC to 850 mhz (gpu clock), 1280 mhz (memory clock)
2GB RAM, 1333mhz

My question is does RAM has any impact on in-game frame rates though I know most of it is attributable to the gpu and then the cpu. My gpu is mid-range and cpu is good enough for gaming and I do get good frame rates in modern games like black ops, arkham asylum etc (50-60 avg. fps). but in a few games like mafia 2, assassins creed 2 the fps drops below normal when I see too many objects and characters in the frame and there are momentary pauses during gameplay. Recently while playing far cry 2 which is an old game the fps was again dropping below normal when there were too many characters in the frame, that was pretty annoying given my gpu & cpu both are powerful enough to run an old game like this perfectly.

My OS in win7 64-bit and some say 2gigs of RAM is not enough for win7 and I agree but the question is if I increase the amount of RAM would i get rid of the problem i'm facing or is it something else. And please, some people might advice me to upgrade my gpu saying its a mid-range, i know I dont need a 5970 or an ultra expensive cpu to get good FPS on games like far cry 2, so please don't :non:  .

I'd really appreciate any help or opinions, thank you :) 

More about : system ram game fps

December 24, 2010 3:39:03 PM

Definitely you'll see an increase in performance if you add that ram. 2gb is too minimal go for 4gb because you're using a 64bit Os. Farcry uses atleast 2gb when on 64bit. Your CPU and GPU are both powerful enough, it's the ram that's pulling you down.
December 24, 2010 4:07:36 PM

venjhammet said:
Definitely you'll see an increase in performance if you add that ram. 2gb is too minimal go for 4gb because you're using a 64bit Os. Farcry uses atleast 2gb when on 64bit. Your CPU and GPU are both powerful enough, it's the ram that's pulling you down.

thanks for the advice, but i wanna know how much does RAM affect fps in games and how. Should i go for 8 gigs or 4 gigs is enough for gaming?....
Related resources
December 25, 2010 9:09:56 AM

I'm running at 8gb, as far as gaming is concern this is excessive. But what the heck I get cool framerates on all games. 4gb will suffice
December 25, 2010 11:06:49 AM

venjhammet said:
I'm running at 8gb, as far as gaming is concern this is excessive. But what the heck I get cool framerates on all games. 4gb will suffice

Good, Ill go for 4 gigs then..thanks!

:) 
December 25, 2010 11:17:01 AM

System RAM acts as a medium to randomly access the stored data then the cpu processes that data. I've heard some saying that RAM has very little to do with FPS, I just wanna know how does it effect the frame rates. Going from 2gigs to 4, is it gonna make any significant performance increase with regard to frame rates.

Also, I'm using a 400w cooler master psu with 16a on both 12v rails, my gpu alone states 450w minimum requirement and Ive overclocked both, the cpu as well as the gpu. Could it be a bottleneck? Though 5750 is known to be very power efficient. Pls advice....??