Broadband access

Does anyone use this? Is it any good? How does it compare to DSL? I
see where they are opening it up to more areas and I am interested.

Thanks
22 answers Last reply
More about broadband access

    "Scott" <Refused@Refused.com> wrote in message
    > Actually Verizon is expanding its wireless braodband access to a city
    > where I live. I was interested in it and was wondering how it stacked
    > up against DSL.
    >
    > This is access using the PC 5220 PCMCIA card

    It depends on the type/speed of the DSL. Depending on your
    location/speed/cost etc the DSL could actually be way slower than broadband
    via cell. Usually the broadband via cell is about 800-1200Kb, DSL is
    generally 384, 768, 1500 Kb. So some are cheaper/slower, some are more
    expensive/faster.

    For me, the most important question is where you are gonna use it.. I use
    the laptop (with the card) in the backyard, on the way to work, at work, at
    a restaurant etc, on my boat, in the RV when traveling etc, heck it's a
    laptop, I use it wherever my lap is... whereas the DSL can only work at the
    place it is installed at. Do you move around? in that case, no contest..

    If you only compute in one place, then DSL may be for you.

    Actually, there is one other important question I almost forgot.. Do you
    play real time games online at home? If so, then only DSL has the ping
    time/speed you need.

    Scott,

    I've had the 5220 card for several months, and have used the new EV-DO
    broadband access from Verizon Wireless when visting cities such as San Diego
    where it was initially available. Verizon is rolling out this service in
    several more cities beginning Monday, 9/27, including my home town here.

    When I was in San Diego a few weeks back, EV-DO wireless broadband worked
    great! It was like having WiFi access everywhere I went: at the airport,
    in a cab or bus, in the hotel room, at the park, etc. I consistently had
    about 800Mbps download speeds.

    For those of you reading this that aren't aware, Verizon Wireless' 3G EV-DO
    broadband service is not "WiFi", but is broadband Internet service based on
    their CDMA cellular phone service. Goto http://www.verizonwireless.com and
    click the Broadband Access link for more information.

    -Reed
    MS MVP

    Thanks. Thats the kind of information that I was looking for. Can't
    wait to try it out.

    Peter Pan wrote:
    > Interesting..I used to think broadband was 1 meg or faster.

    Broadband has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with delivery
    method. I forget the exact technical details but cable, ISDN and DSL are all
    broadband. (And ISDN only goes up to 128K either way)

    > Peter Pan wrote:
    > > Interesting..I used to think broadband was 1 meg or faster.
    >
    > Broadband has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with delivery
    > method. I forget the exact technical details but cable, ISDN and DSL are
    all
    > broadband. (And ISDN only goes up to 128K either way)

    IIRC, broadband is defined as a type of data transmission in which a single
    medium can carry several channels at the same time. As you state, it has
    nothing to do with speed.

    Joe Kaffe wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Peter Pan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Interesting..I used to think broadband was 1 meg or faster.
    >>
    >>Broadband has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with delivery
    >>method. I forget the exact technical details but cable, ISDN and DSL are
    >
    > all
    >
    >>broadband. (And ISDN only goes up to 128K either way)
    >

    > IIRC, broadband is defined as a type of data transmission in which a single
    > medium can carry several channels at the same time. As you state, it has
    > nothing to do with speed.

    Yup. That'd work for partial or full T-1s (up to 24 channels), ISDN (up to 2
    channels). Not sure how it applies to cable and DSL...

    > Joe Kaffe wrote:
    >> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message

    >>>Broadband has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with delivery
    >>>method. I forget the exact technical details but cable, ISDN and DSL are
    >>>all
    >>>broadband. (And ISDN only goes up to 128K either way)
    >>

    >> IIRC, broadband is defined as a type of data transmission in which a
    >> single
    >> medium can carry several channels at the same time. As you state, it has
    >> nothing to do with speed.
    >
    > Yup. That'd work for partial or full T-1s (up to 24 channels), ISDN (up to
    > 2 channels). Not sure how it applies to cable and DSL...
    >

    > --

    Then why isn't something like 1X data that is packet switched, and over
    regular voice/multiple channels not considered broadband, but evdo that only
    uses one channel for data is called broadband, but only uses one channel?
    Seems sort of wacky to me...

    Peter Pan wrote:

    > Then why isn't something like 1X data that is packet switched, and over
    > regular voice/multiple channels not considered broadband, but evdo that only
    > uses one channel for data is called broadband, but only uses one channel?
    > Seems sort of wacky to me...

    "Broadband", in Verizon Wireless's context, is a marketing term and nothing
    more. I'm sure they use it because people equate "broadband" with "high speed".

    If it's packet switched, IMHO it can't be broadband.

    Doing multilink internet dialup connections with two 56K modems wouldn't be
    broadband either; two channels, yes (each voice line is equal to one 64K data
    channel), but they're two *single* channels being bound together.

    > Peter Pan wrote:
    >
    >> Then why isn't something like 1X data that is packet switched, and over
    >> regular voice/multiple channels not considered broadband, but evdo that
    >> only uses one channel for data is called broadband, but only uses one
    >> channel? Seems sort of wacky to me...
    >
    > "Broadband", in Verizon Wireless's context, is a marketing term and
    > nothing more. I'm sure they use it because people equate "broadband" with
    > "high speed".
    >
    > If it's packet switched, IMHO it can't be broadband.
    >
    > Doing multilink internet dialup connections with two 56K modems wouldn't
    > be broadband either; two channels, yes (each voice line is equal to one
    > 64K data channel), but they're two *single* channels being bound together.
    >
    > --

    You mean a network connection can't be broadband? Networks are usually
    packet switched... Oh no, my cable internet thing is networked and packet
    switched, and it gives me 3 meg speed... :)

    I'm begging to wonder if there actually *IS* a definition for it, and am
    beginning to believe it is just a marketing scam (like "more" on a soap box)

    Killer Madness wrote:
    > Narrowband is dial up and broadband is anything faster than that.

    > It's very plain and simple, but people as usually put their own system in
    > there.

    Wrong. The term refers to method of delivery and has nothing to do with speed.
    Someone working in your position should know that.

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/broadband.html

    Peter Pan wrote:
    > You mean a network connection can't be broadband? Networks are usually
    > packet switched... Oh no, my cable internet thing is networked and packet
    > switched, and it gives me 3 meg speed... :)

    I did say IMHO. I wouldn't state it as fact since I'm not absolutely 100% sure
    I'm correct. :)

    > Peter Pan wrote:
    >> You mean a network connection can't be broadband? Networks are usually
    >> packet switched... Oh no, my cable internet thing is networked and packet
    >> switched, and it gives me 3 meg speed... :)
    >
    > I did say IMHO. I wouldn't state it as fact since I'm not absolutely 100%
    > sure I'm correct. :)
    >

    > --

    Saw that, but didn't know the acronym for (In Steve Sobol's Humble
    Opinion).. tried ISS'SHO but my spell checker didn't like that.... :)

    "Broadband" is quickly becoming THE buzzword for 2004. In fact *I* am on
    line ordering a brand new Broadband yard rake as we speak!
    Remind anyone of the word "Turbo"?????
    Turbo Hairdryer
    Turbo motherboard (XT)
    Turbo styling......

    NOW!!!!!
    Broadband noise
    Broadband speed
    Broadband blah blah blah...

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:21:15 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >"Broadband", in Verizon Wireless's context, is a marketing term and nothing
    >more. I'm sure they use it because people equate "broadband" with "high speed".

    It's the same reason the box that sits between your computer and your
    DSL phone line is called a modem even though it doesn't modulate or
    demodulate the signal. It's a term that the public understands.

    jc

    In article <glegl056sl0udn4rrvudvshaf37ijauq5u@4ax.com>,
    JC Dill <jcdill01@sonic.net> wrote:
    >It's the same reason the box that sits between your computer and your
    >DSL phone line is called a modem even though it doesn't modulate or
    >demodulate the signal. It's a term that the public understands.

    Actually, a "DSL Modem" is a true mo(dulator)dem(odulator). DSL uses
    tones on the phone line at frequencies above that used for voice (20kHz
    to 1.1MHz, for ADSL). An "old" 56Kb modem just uses tones in the voice
    range (up to 8Khz), but the principle is the same.

    Here is another site that discusses broadband.

    http://www.cis.state.mi.us/mpsc/comm/broadband/start.htm

    > Killer Madness wrote:
    > > Narrowband is dial up and broadband is anything faster than that.
    >
    > > It's very plain and simple, but people as usually put their own system
    in
    > > there.
    >
    > Wrong. The term refers to method of delivery and has nothing to do with
    speed.
    > Someone working in your position should know that.
    >
    > http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/broadband.html
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

    Jesus dude, in it's simpliest form so people would understand. Don't start
    quoting from webopeida thinking your Mr. Smart cause you found a link. My
    dog can do that...let's keep it simple, that's all anyone on this group is
    able to really comprehend and understand.

    Killer Madness wrote:
    > Jesus dude, in it's simpliest form so people would understand.

    Simple would be fine if it's correct.

    > quoting from webopeida thinking your Mr. Smart cause you found a link. My
    > dog can do that...let's keep it simple, that's all anyone on this group is
    > able to really comprehend and understand.

    Simple doesn't mean anything if it's incorrect. BROADBAND DOESN'T MEAN FAST.
    BROADBAND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SPEED. Get it? ISDN is broadband, and DSL and
    Cable are both much faster than ISDN.

    Thank you. Drive through.

    "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > If you had the ability to follow threads on a usenet group you would have
    > seen that I said nothing about broadband having to do with speed.

    Yes you did:

    "Narrowband is dial up and broadband is anything faster than that.
    It's very plain and simple, but people as usually put their own system in
    there."

    Your words, not mine.

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:00:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Thank you. Drive through.

    I'm beginning to think that phrase comes out of KM's mouth many, many
    times a day.

    I also had the word "people" in there...does that include birds and fleas as
    well?
    Yes, you won't understand...you can stop the head scratching now and don't
    look up cause it ain't coming down.

    "Opentoe" <killermo@cnet.com> wrote in message
    > I also had the word "people" in there...does that include birds and fleas
    as
    > well?
    > Yes, you won't understand...you can stop the head scratching now and don't
    > look up cause it ain't coming down.

    I understand everything presented here- yet another tech wannabe that
    doesn't acknowledge his own words and tries to blame others for
    'misrepresenting' his own very clear statement. Try all you want to
    disguise your mistake- it will still be seen as such by everyone else here.

    BTW- don't quit your day job- I've determined that my 13 year old possesses
    more qualifications and knowledge, and my 8 year old certainly understands
    more about technology than you seem to demonstrate.

Verizon Broadband DSL Internet Service Providers