Razer BlackWidow mechanical gaming keyboard

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
What are y'alls thoughts on this keyboard?

I'm looking into buying a new keyboard for gaming (mmo's and FPS's) and I saw this mechanical keyboard. I've never used a mechanical keyboard before, so it seems like a cool, different new option.

Are there any distinct advantages or disadvantages that you guys have seen with this?

Any conveniences/inconveniences that you experienced?

here's a link: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.211324200/categoryId.49136200/parentCategoryId.35156900

Generally speaking mechanical keyboards are great for their tactile feedback and typist really like that since they do not have to guess whether for not they actually pressed the key or no. I think the Blackwidows use cherry black switches; if not then cherry blue switches.

If I were to buy one, I think I would prefer the Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard. However, I would need to try out the keyboard before making such a decision. I generally do not want a noisy computer component of any type so I would need to tryout a mechanical keyboard before buying one.

vapezilla

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT BUY THE RAZER. I LOVE Razer mice, the deathadder rocks. but when it comes to buying a good Mechanical keyboard then buy a brand that knows their ***. I own 3 mechanical keyboards (1 is strictly used for typing and the other 2 are strictly for gaming)
1. Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (HHKB PRO 2) it uses topre switches which is AWESOME for typing but SUCKS BALLS for gaming. I bought it from here http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b this keyboard has 6 key rollover

2. Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition it uses cherry mx red switches which is awesome. its a full size keyboard and is awesome for gaming. I bought it off of amazon but i think they are sold out so i just linked you the companies site http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=744 this keyboard when used with ps/2 adapter has full nkey rollover

3. KBC Poker 40% with PBT keycaps and Cherry MX Red switches. This board is like the HHKB in size but has the same switch as my FILCO this KEYBOARD ROCKS FOR Gaming. I RECOMEND THIS. As im a FPSr and have a massive mousepad. and with its small foot print it is so comfortable to game with. I bought it from this guy on ebay this keyboard came out about a month or so ago and is SUPER RARE and highly sought after but i found a ebay guy that has the hook up http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Poker-40-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-PBT-/120748551487?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c1d2cad3f this keyboard when used with ps/2 adapter has full nkey rollover

now out or those 3 i have the HHKB and the KBC hooked up to pc all time. When im doing anything but gaming i use the HHKB and for gaming only i use KBC. the reason i have 1 for typing and 1 for gaming is for gaming you want the lightest activation and want a linear feel (feels like typing on a cloud of boobs) and for typing i use HHKB because its topre is a tactile feel meaning when you push a key you feel a click when key activates. Now if you dont want multiple keyboards then i recomend either cherry browns or cherry black switches. But regardless you can get that KBC poker with whatever switch you like. but im telling you if you want the GREATEST GAMING BOARD then it must be mechanical with CHERRY MX RED SWITCHES. FOR MORE INFO ON MECHANICAL check out this site http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html and feel free to ask me any questions. but as far as that RAZER dont buy it. they dont know *** about mechanical keyboards stick with good companies. yeah these keyboards might cost more and not have all the extra bells and whistles but they do what they are designed to do. FYI these keyboards wont break or wear out they are built to last and if used properly will last 20, 30 years. my dad still uses his 1984 IBM Model M keyboard.

skaz

Distinguished
I use a cherry brown Leopold mechanical keyboard and love it. I do prefer the blue switches for typing though.

I have tested the razer mechanical keyboard at a store and it felt decent. I didn't care for the LED version or any of the extra buttons though. But the keys themselves felt good.

I think if you have the time and a store that carries one you should try it out first. From my brief research on mechanical keyboards I learned that majority of people preferred cherry black for strictly gaming, blues for strictly typing, and browns were in the middle. I spent a few weeks reading into the different types of mechanical keyboards before I ordered mine.

A lot can be learned in regards to mechanical keyboards at geekhack.org if your interested.

vapezilla

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

what he said

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
For illuminated keyboards red is the best colour as it's low frequency will disappear when you are say watching a movie or playing a game, for FPS gaming The Merc Stealth or maybe the Wolfking might be what you are looking for...They both have dedicated game keys on the left end....:)