FFXIV Unbearable performance?

vientown

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I got the collectors edition of FFXIV for christmas, and I love the look of it atleast. I didn't get a chance to play the first FFMMO, but I'd love to play this one. I've installed it all and created a Lalafell, but when I start in the ship it is so laggy, even on the lowest possible graphical performance. I revised it about five times, but to no avail.

I have always considered my graphics card inferior, and have been looking for a means of improvement for quite some time now - it is only that this game is so high maintenance (and a gift) that I've been pushed to action. I also have money from christmas, so money is (by and large) not a problem.

(Taken directly from properties on computer so, excuse if there's unnecesary information.)

--------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer: Packard Bell
Model: ixtreme M3720
Rating: 3.2 Windows Experience Index
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: Pen Input Available

(I ran dxdiag for display, and this is the returned information.)

Name NVIDIA GeForce 7100 /NVIDIA nForce 630i
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce 710 / nForce 630i
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 1912 MB
Current Display Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

DirectX Features

DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

--------------------------------------------------------

As I've said, I assume the problem is the graphics card, but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate if anyone could help point me in the right direction?

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
this might help you...

minimum specs:
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7.
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz.
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9.
Memory: 2GB of RAM.
Disk Space: 15GB.

recommended specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit.
Processor: Intel Core i7 2.66GHz or higher. *
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better with VRAM 768MB or more and DirectX 9. **
Memory: 4GB of RAM.
Disk Space: 15GB.

* We'd like to add that the AMD equivalent is a Phenom II X6 1055T
** We'd like to add that the ATI equivalent is a Radeon HD 5830 card with 1GB VRAM

Benchmark tool:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/download/benchmark01.html

score breakdown:
[8000 and over] Extremely High Performance
Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
[5500–7999] Very High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.
[4500-5499] High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.
[2500-2999] Standard Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings.
[2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.
[1500-1999] Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance.
[Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
Does not meet specifications for running the game.

BobVosh

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
According to minimum specs your graphics don't make it.
Everything else looks above minimum, but not close to recommended.

ddtemplar

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I played the beta briefly on my computer (Core2DuoE8400(2x3.0Ghz), 4GB DDR2, GTX260-216). It was a bit laggy (on medium-high settings), but definitely playable.

As your CPU is better then mine, I think that it will be (at minimum) playable if you upgrade your GPU.

The GTX460 is a good card if you are planning on doing a lot of PC gaming. However it may not be worth the price (~$200) unless your planning on upgrading your CPU sometime in the near future, as I think you need an faster i5 or an i7 to allow it to run at its full potential.\

Hopefully someone can chime in on what an optimal card for your computer would be. I am not up on all the new cards. The GTX260 would be a good match, but I don't think many places sell them any more (and if they do, they are rather overpriced considering their age).

G

Hello before upgrading your graphics card you must do a couple of things. The ixtream comes with a 250 wat PSU (Power supply unit) I can confirm this because i have the exact same model and have had it apart and have seen it. You need to upgrade the PSU to somwhere above 500 as most of the graphics cards that are strong enough require 500 wats minimum.
A 600 Wat one would be more then enough for the reccomended graphics card which is a Nvidea gefore GTX 460 With the 768 mb vram though i have heard the GTX 460 with 1 gig vram is really nice.
Sorry to have to give you the news but i had made a mistake of upgrading my graphics card without paying attention to the PSU so i couldent really make use out of the graphics card at all.
The PSU cost can be fairly cheap and if you are new to this like i am i managed to find somone to fit it for me and now i can do it myself :D.