Print Server vs Print / Scan Server

I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC_1&PRODUCTID=MFC8440

I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
(AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=659

However, Brother says I should use this one:
http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.

Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?
2 answers Last reply
More about print server print scan server

    WJ wrote:

    > I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
    > considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

    http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC_1&PRODUCTID=MFC8440

    > I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
    > wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.
    >
    > My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
    > (AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
    > The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
    > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=659
    >
    > However, Brother says I should use this one:
    > http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
    > My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
    > security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.
    >
    > Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?

    Why don't you just get a wire print server and plug it into one of the 54G
    wire LAN ports and be done with it? Wireless and wired machines should be
    able to print to the printer connected to the print server, because it's
    connected to the router and is just another network device with an IP. My
    wireless and wired machines can print with no problems.

    Duane :)

    "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:
    >I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
    >wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

    Generally, printing is easy, and faxing, scanning, etc are very
    difficult to get right in a print server that isn't specifically made
    for your device. Those other things require feedback from the device
    to the requesting computer, and there's no standard way of doing that.
    For instance, some of the HP multifunction devices have a WWWeb
    server, where you go to do you scanning...

Wireless Servers Wireless Networking