Print Server vs Print / Scan Server

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 13, 2004 6:38:08 PM

I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC...

I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
(AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

However, Brother says I should use this one:
http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.

Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 4:18:45 AM

WJ wrote:

> I've been in the market for a good laser printer and lately I've been
> considering a multi function device. Here is one that has caught my eye:

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_detail.aspx?AREA=MFC...

> I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
> wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.
>
> My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and I have the security set to WAP
> (AES). So any print server I use must also have this.
> The print server I wanted to use was the new Linksys wireless-G.
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>
> However, Brother says I should use this one:
> http://solutions.brother.com/nc2200w_all/en_us/
> My problem is theirs uses WEP, and I'm really unwilling to go back to that
> security now that WPA is set up and runs perfect.
>
> Must I use the Brother Print / Scan server?

Why don't you just get a wire print server and plug it into one of the 54G
wire LAN ports and be done with it? Wireless and wired machines should be
able to print to the printer connected to the print server, because it's
connected to the router and is just another network device with an IP. My
wireless and wired machines can print with no problems.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 12:53:54 PM

"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:
>I run a wired / wireless network at home. Ideally, I'd like to attach a
>wireless printserver so any computer can print / fax.

Generally, printing is easy, and faxing, scanning, etc are very
difficult to get right in a print server that isn't specifically made
for your device. Those other things require feedback from the device
to the requesting computer, and there's no standard way of doing that.
For instance, some of the HP multifunction devices have a WWWeb
server, where you go to do you scanning...
!