NEED HELP FAST

G

HI,
I just purchased a new motherboard (GA-7ZM(gigabyte brand))and an amd 800 mhz duron chip. I have 64mb of ram that is PC-100. I have a 250 watt power supply. When I turn on the computer it will work for about 10 to 15 secs then either beep like crazy or just frezze, but there are no error when i turn it on. If i go into the bios and just leave it on it wont frezze up. I checked in the bios in the temperature section and it says that the chip is at 99 degrees Celcius (THAT IS WAY TO HOT). It says that the system temp is at 19 degrees Celcius. After I saw that I went and bought another 3 fans and put them in the computer, 2 case fans and a better fan and heatsink (BIGGER i had one before). That didnt change the temp at all. I have changed the motherboard to 95mhz instead of 100mhz and that didnt do anything. Is something wrong with the chip or the motherboard or maybe the power supply( I HAVE KNOW IDEA?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GolfPro962 on 01/08/01 07:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what type of heatsink and fan do you have mounted on your duron? Have you made sure it's mounted properly?

Mike

G

Yes, I have it mounted correctly and i even brought it to a computer store and the technican said it was correct.

G

Well, either your motherboard is wacked out or your heatsink isn't doing its job. I wouldn't run it anymore and am a bit surprised the cpu is not hosed! If I were in your place, I'd take off the heatsink and reclean the contact surfaces on it and the cpu. I usually use acetone based nail polish remover and when that dries, isopropyl alcolol. Then I'd apply a very thin layer of some good heatsink compound and remount the heatsink on the cpu. Not sure what kind of cooler you have, but if it's a cheapo, you might want to think of getting something better. Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Mike

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should probably get a new motherboard, either the Asus A7V or the Abit KT7.
But is it possible to take out your chip and put it on another board to see if it still works?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DUDE! Make sure you check that you removed *BOTH* layers of tape from the heatsink! I made this mistake on my brothers new PC about two weeks ago. I don't recall there being a second smaller tape within the larger outside tape. So relying on past experience, I almost fried my bro's new computer. Make sure you take the heatsink off and check to see if there is still another piece of tape...trust me on this. Do you recall removing TWO pieces of tape or one?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BTW, another thing you could do if you don't feel like removing the heatsink is to feel the heatsink when the temp shows 99deg C. If the heatsink is cold, you KNOW that sneaky little square piece of tape is insulating your CPU from the heatsink. Heatsink should practically burn you at that temp.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I saw a picture of this exact thing recently.
I'm trying to find the picture, its great.
There is a 1.1GHz TBird with a charred core and a HSF with the tape still on the bottom with black charred rectangle in the middle of the tape.
And the best part, there is a little sticker on the HSF that says to take the tape off before putting on the Chip.

I wish I could find it.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OUCH! Luckily my brothers didn't fry...in my defense though, I've built 3 systems prior to his and NEVER saw a second piece of tape. I still feel pretty damn stupid though...

If you could have seen the horror on my face when I saw 85deg C for CPU temp. I think the A7V saved it somehow...does this board have a thermal cutoff?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 01/09/01 02:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I am going to return the motherboard and chip and tell them to give me new ones.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE