chipset with a leadtek geforce2 GTS

G

Ok, I've been beating my brains out this past week after I bought the geforce2. Basically all of my 3D games keep crashing at random times and I've been through all the BIOS/driver updates I can find. I've also checked to make sure all my IRQ's are separate so there isn't any sharing going on with the geforce. From what I've researched recently though, it seems that there are some chipsets that doesn't get along with Nvidia cards or just the geforce. I currently have the FIC SD11 w/Athlon 600 and 256 PC133 CAS2 RAM. From what I understand, the AMD 751 Northbridge is one of the chipsets that has trouble with AGP cards and the like. And since I was planning to upgrade the board/chip soon anyway...

What I need to know is if there are any really stable chipsets for the geforce2 (either Intel or AMD, whichever won't crash all the time). I've read that the VIA KT133 still has some problems (mainly with Nvidia cards). So far, the only chipset that hasn't received too many strikes against it is the Intel 815e, but I wanted to check and see what all the options I have.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to stick with an Athlon system, find out how well ALI's new chipset works with it-Tom gave the new Iwill motherboard a good review.
Micron should be releasing their chipset in the not too distant future. If NVidia comes out with theirs, it BETTER be compatable with their cards!
As far as I know their are no issues to be resolved with the 815e chipset, should you choose to go that rout. The CUSL2-C is by far the favored MB, even by people who own both PIII and Athlon systems, I've even heard people say they wish they could put a T-Bird on one! (oh, what a wonderful world that would be....)

Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have heard of very few problems with the KT133 chipset and the Geforce2 GTS. The power requirements for the AGP cards tend to overpower the slot on the old amd irongate motherboards causing lockups unless you run AGP 1X. I personally have an Abit KT7 and a Leadtek winfast GTS with a TBird 850. Running for several months great. I had some driver errors that a safemode delete and reinstall took care of. In 3Dmark2000 I get a score of 7003. Good luck.

Deon

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this card can run on an irongate chipset however you are correct it will need to run at 1x for stability. I am not sure but I do think the fic board did have a power issue with the gforce cards. This however is not the fault of the chipset rather the voltage regulator on the fic board. If you have a setting in your bios set agp to 1x also disable sidebanding if you have this setting as well. For what it is worth you will only cost yourself a very small amount running in agp 1x mode. Ie a 3dmark score of 6200 at agp 2x would become a score of 6000 at agp 1x. download a program such as wpid to verify in fact what you are running at.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

TRENDING THREADS