Compaq Presario onboard wireless

I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook with built-in HP wireless. I
have trouble getting it to lock onto a wireless router at home and the
local coffee shop. I also have an older Pentium 233 generic notebook
with a PCMCIA wireless adapter that works perfectly at home, so I know
the wireless network works fine(using it right now). The onboard
compaq wireless takes a long time to lock then drops off after a
minute or two and won't reconnect. Has anyone had problems with this
onboard wireless.

Thanks
Tom
2 answers Last reply
More about compaq presario onboard wireless

    I, too, have a Compaq 2100 series laptop (2110US), however, I do not
    have the built-in wireless adapter. Still, I know that the 2100 series
    come with an HP wireless utility manager that is suppose to install the
    driver for the built-in wireless adapter. Is it installed? Is it
    difficult to connect to a router with encryption turned off? What OS
    are you using? Did you check for any patches or updates that might
    address this issue?

    TomB wrote:
    > I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook with built-in HP wireless. I
    > have trouble getting it to lock onto a wireless router at home and the
    > local coffee shop. I also have an older Pentium 233 generic notebook
    > with a PCMCIA wireless adapter that works perfectly at home, so I know
    > the wireless network works fine(using it right now). The onboard
    > compaq wireless takes a long time to lock then drops off after a
    > minute or two and won't reconnect. Has anyone had problems with this
    > onboard wireless.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    I have a 2175US running xp pro sp1 and 512 megs RAM. It has connected
    in the past for only a short amount of time. I can sit next to my
    wife with my older P233 notebook with a Siemens PC Card wireless
    adapter and it works fine. My wife's either won't connect for around
    5 minutes, then connects and drops after only a few minutes. The
    software that is used to run it appears to be built-into XP. My home
    router is a older 11mip Linksys router with no security (WEP) applied.
    I have been working on PCs for over 12 years and this one has me
    stumped. I have a feeling that there is either something wrong with
    the onboard wireless adapter or they don't really work that well. The
    driver for the wireless adapter is installed and I can't find any
    updates on the compaq website. Will keep looking though.

    Tom

    Doug Jamal <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message news:<LEIld.34438$As5.30473@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...
    > I, too, have a Compaq 2100 series laptop (2110US), however, I do not
    > have the built-in wireless adapter. Still, I know that the 2100 series
    > come with an HP wireless utility manager that is suppose to install the
    > driver for the built-in wireless adapter. Is it installed? Is it
    > difficult to connect to a router with encryption turned off? What OS
    > are you using? Did you check for any patches or updates that might
    > address this issue?
    >
    > TomB wrote:
    > > I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook with built-in HP wireless. I
    > > have trouble getting it to lock onto a wireless router at home and the
    > > local coffee shop. I also have an older Pentium 233 generic notebook
    > > with a PCMCIA wireless adapter that works perfectly at home, so I know
    > > the wireless network works fine(using it right now). The onboard
    > > compaq wireless takes a long time to lock then drops off after a
    > > minute or two and won't reconnect. Has anyone had problems with this
    > > onboard wireless.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Tom

Wireless Presario Compaq Wireless Networking