Compaq Presario onboard wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 13, 2004 8:15:53 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook with built-in HP wireless. I
have trouble getting it to lock onto a wireless router at home and the
local coffee shop. I also have an older Pentium 233 generic notebook
with a PCMCIA wireless adapter that works perfectly at home, so I know
the wireless network works fine(using it right now). The onboard
compaq wireless takes a long time to lock then drops off after a
minute or two and won't reconnect. Has anyone had problems with this
onboard wireless.

Thanks
Tom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 3:59:23 PM

I, too, have a Compaq 2100 series laptop (2110US), however, I do not
have the built-in wireless adapter. Still, I know that the 2100 series
come with an HP wireless utility manager that is suppose to install the
driver for the built-in wireless adapter. Is it installed? Is it
difficult to connect to a router with encryption turned off? What OS
are you using? Did you check for any patches or updates that might
address this issue?

TomB wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook with built-in HP wireless. I
> have trouble getting it to lock onto a wireless router at home and the
> local coffee shop. I also have an older Pentium 233 generic notebook
> with a PCMCIA wireless adapter that works perfectly at home, so I know
> the wireless network works fine(using it right now). The onboard
> compaq wireless takes a long time to lock then drops off after a
> minute or two and won't reconnect. Has anyone had problems with this
> onboard wireless.
>
> Thanks
> Tom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 11:53:27 PM

I have a 2175US running xp pro sp1 and 512 megs RAM. It has connected
in the past for only a short amount of time. I can sit next to my
wife with my older P233 notebook with a Siemens PC Card wireless
adapter and it works fine. My wife's either won't connect for around
5 minutes, then connects and drops after only a few minutes. The
software that is used to run it appears to be built-into XP. My home
router is a older 11mip Linksys router with no security (WEP) applied.
I have been working on PCs for over 12 years and this one has me
stumped. I have a feeling that there is either something wrong with
the onboard wireless adapter or they don't really work that well. The
driver for the wireless adapter is installed and I can't find any
updates on the compaq website. Will keep looking though.

Tom

!