K7Pro2A Help needed

G

I have a problem with my MSI K7PRO2A mainboard. I have a Duron 800 with the four L1 bridges modified. Now. When I started overclocking, it worked just fine in the beginning. I got it past 1G. Like out of the blue (Probably when I tried to push it even further), it suddenly wouldn't anymore. If I even set the multiplier on 8.5, it wont boot at first, and when I reset, it starts on 550Mhz. I'm pretty sure it's nothing wrong with the L1 connection because I actually soldered them at work where I have sophisticated equipment to do so. I use BIOS version 2.0
I've also tried the special oc BIOS, but without luck.
Any help is appriciated.

Boy am I full of it - in every respect.

G

Hmmmm, I bought that mainboard in combination with a Tbird 750 for my father and it works great, but I haven't tried to overclock it yet.

It seems to me your problem DOES lie in the L1 bridges OR the CPU itself.... Driving the CPU over 1000Mhz without any extra cooling messures AND in combination with (though professionally) SOLDERED L1 bridges, that doesn't seem very stable to me. I'm not sure what the melting point of your solder material is, but it might have melted again in your case....

Try and remove the solderings (without wrecking the L1 points) and then use a pencil to close them again, see if that works better.

Keep it cool!

G

I do use extra cooling measures. Meaning I use a Globalwin FOP32. The melting point is about 210-230 degrees C and i do not reach that temp. BUT. It might have been a bad job (It's the smallest soldering I've ever done, and I do that for a living), so you have a point. I'll take it back tomorrow and look at it through a microscope, or maybe even an x-ray machine. =)

Boy am I full of it - in every respect.