Microns DDR system

G

I called to order one of there systems and ask what mobo the comp had in it. I was told it was the Gigabyte 7DX. I was then told that it would only support the DDR200 ram. (I was planning on upgrading to the DDR266 is a year or so) From what I understood from the gigabyte web site was that the 7DX supported both types of ram while the 7DXC only supported the DDR200. What makes it even more frustrating was that I called 3 days ago and the person told me that it would support both types. I even called back a 3rd time and had the sales person talk to one of the techs but got the same answer. Could they be alluding to the fact that I couldnt upgrade the ram on it with out upgrading the processor to one with a 266 bus? (or at least the ram would still run at 200 if I did upgraded it with out the upgrading the proc too)
I would appreciate any insight on this.
thanks

G

I did look at the gigabyte web site and it says it supports it. I think all go ahead and get it and just hope I dont get burnt. The only reason I was going to get this system over a non-DDR one was I thought it would be more upgradeable. I would just wait, but I have a old 233 pII system and Ive been waiting to get a new comp until I graduated and got a job and I dont think I can wait much longer. Thanks for your help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yvw. Btw, I hate those salesmen/techs for retailers. They know less than me (Almost exclusively), and if they don't know, they lie. What's worse, sometimes they even lie when they know better. I got into purchase and trade when I was about 12 and got hurt be those kind of ppl a couple times before I figured out that they are all either morons or crooks (I was a sharp kid).

mpjesse

Splendid
What the dumb ass sales dude was probably trying to say that it comes with PC1600 RAM but didn't realize it could support PC2100. The 7DX supports PC2100 RAM- i have the same board their putting in those machines. Go wid it... I'd just build my own if i were you though.

-MP Jesse

G

I poked around their support section on the web site and it even said that the mobo that came with the comp was a GA-7DX and that it supported both types of DDR. All I can think of was that to go to the 266DDR you should go to a 266 FSB processor to. So you couldnt upgrade the ram with out upgrading something else also, so it wasnt directly upgradeable. That might have confused him. I have built a couple comps in the past and would have liked to again, but due to me impatience, lack of time, and the fairly low price they have come down to (starts at 1499 now)I went ahead and got it. I couldnt even find the mobo for sale yet, only saw the GA-7DXC, even if I could Im not sure if I could have built it much cheaper myself.

G

Yeah it does support Pc 2100 and 266 Mhz, the gigabyte board. I wnet through the same hell. However I ordered it from somwhere else. I went to the website of gigabyte and got there number and called them up just to make sure.
Maybe you can answer my question. If you get that board now with a T-bird with 200 Mhz FBS, will you be able to change it to 266Mhz??