VIA (KT133) support ATA100 ???

G

Some mentions from earlier posts that the chipset VIA (KT133) ONLY supports ATA66.
But from looking at the www.abit.com.tw, when looking at the Abit KT7-RAID, which uses VIA (KT133) chipset, it still says it support ATA100. Why ?

Thanks

G

I am not sure if I am correct in this answer but I believe it is all about the bios support, The chip set suports ata100 you have to make sure the bios is updated to support it. Again don't quote me on that though.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The VIA KT133 chipset does not support ATA100. However, the ABIT KT7-RAID has an additional RAID controller that supports ATA100. The ATA66 controller can support up to 4 IDE drives, and the ATA100 RAID controller can support an additional 4 IDE drives, for a total of 8 IDE devices that can be attached to the KT7-RAID.

G

The KT133 chipset is made up of 2 different chips:
VT8363-North Bridge and
VT82C686A South bridge.
When configured as above, it has ATA-66 support max.
However since this is a 2 piece chipset, by using a different South Bridge chip, namely:
VT82C686B now you have a KT133 that will support ATA-100.
North Bridge chip remains the same number. Most boards being released now use the B version south bridge chip as it is pin compatible with the A version and costs the same.

Andy

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Via KT133 chipset does not support ATA/100. The KT7-RAID motherboard has an extra chip on it, a HighPoint Raid controller. This controls the second pair of IDE ports which are ATA/100 capable. The primary pair of IDE ports are still only ATA/66.

G

Wrong, it does support ATA-100. Go to Tom's main page and scroll down to the mainboard guide. There you will find an article titled "5 new socketA boards with ATA-100 support".
I suggest you read it.

Andy

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I am not wrong. You are.

I suggest that you re-read my post, your own post, and the article to which you refer.

You asked about the Abit KT7-Raid motherboard and the Via KT133 chipset. As I said before, the Via KT133 chipset does not support ATA/100. The KT7-RAID motherboard has an extra chip on it, a HighPoint Raid controller.

The article, to which you refer, talks about the new KT7A-Raid motherboard and the new KT133A chipset (which includes the 686B Southbridge). These are completely different from the items which asked. The original KT133 chipset DOES NOT support ATA/100.

G

There seems to be a lot of confusion here as to who said what. Let me clear up some misconceptions you have.

1st, in your post dated 1/11/01 10:06, you indicated that I asked the questions about the ABIT K7-raid board and the KT133 chipset. Those questions were not asked by me, but by brianlam and was the first thread posted. My 1st reply to him was on 1/10/00 8:33, where I indicated that the KT133 would only support ATA-66 with the A version of the 686 southbridge chip. If the B version of the 686 southbridge chip is used, then and only then will ATA-100 support be available. I hope we can agree on this much so far.
If you reread the 5 motherboard article I referred to in my post to you dated 1/11/01 9:10, you will see on the first page a yellow colored block that says" KT133 and Socket A with UltraATA/100". Note that it does NOT say KT133A. Also, in the summary box directly to the right, it again refers to the KT133 chipset (not the KT133A), and talks about the 686B and ATA-100 support.
Further down in the article, the KT133A chipset is mentioned as an "upcoming" chipset; this is NOT the chipset that was on the 5 motherboards that were reviewed in the article. Feel free to contact Peter or Uwe, the authors of the article for confirmation on this.
The last info posted by wusy, is 100 percent correct.
The KT133A does include the 686B southbridge chip and thus supports ATA-100, but the big new feature is support for the 133MHZ bus that the new future T-birds or whatever name AMD selects, will require when released sometime in the 1st Q of 2001. The present KT133 chipsets with either an A or B version 686 southbridge will NOT run stable at 133MHZ hence the new KT133A chipset.
Part of the blame for all of this confusion rests with VIA;
when they replaced the A version southbridge chip with the B version, they should not have continued to market the chipset by the same KT133 name. As it stands now, there are motherboards being sold as KT133 that support only ATA66 and others that support ATA100. Below are 2 links to information that will help clear up any more doubts you may have. The first is a review of the MSI K7tpro. Pay close attention to the chipset section where it lists what type of chipset is used and the hard drive modes supported. You will notice that the chipset is listed as a KT133+686B; again, not a KT133A. Many manufacturers are now listing their ATA100 boards this way in order to separate them from the original 686A ATA66 versions.
The second link is the info page for a Soyo K7VTA-B board. This is the board I use in my system, and again the chipset is listed as a KT133+686B with ATA100 support. I hope I've cleared up the confusion surrounding the KT133 chipset once and for all.

Andy

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/msi_k7tpro2a/

http://direct.com/mwave/doc/k7vtab.html

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully this is my last post concerning this subject.

Regarding the KT133A chipset, I was wrong. I apologize.

However I stand by my claim that the original KT133 chipset does not support ATA/100. I cite as my reference the definitions of both the KT133 and KT133A chipsets as found on Via Technologies WEB pages. Excerpts are provided below.

http://www.viatech.com/products/prodkt133.htm

"Innovative & Scalable Architecture
The VIA Apollo KT133 is based on an innovative and scalable architecture with proven reliability and performance. It is a two-chip set consisting of the VT8363 North Bridge controller and the VT82C686A South Bridge controller".

"The VIA Apollo KT133 chipset unleashes the full performance potential of AMD's Duron and Athlon Socket A processors by providing an extensive high-end feature-set that includes 200MHz FSB, AGP4X, PC133 memory and ATA-66".

http://www.viatech.com/products/prodkt133a.htm

"Innovative & Scalable Architecture
The VIA Apollo KT133A is based on an innovative and scalable architecture with proven reliability and performance. It is a two-chip set consisting of the VT8363A North Bridge controller and the VT82C686B South Bridge controller".

There is no doubt in my mind that VT82C686B South Bridge can and will replace the VT82C686A chip in all future applications. However, the combination of the VT8363 North Bridge used with the VT82C686B South Bridge is not officially designated as the KT133 chipset (at least not yet).

If this does not convince then let us agree to disagree.