Framrate issues (GTA IV on an above par machine)

skarmy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Sooooo I'm so happy to announce that I FINALLY got my new machine built and a WELL decent one I might add, I went with the following setup -

PSU - CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
MB - ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750 RT
GFX - EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GTX470
CPU - AMD|PH II X6 1075T 3.0G AM3 RT
HDD - 1T|WD WD10EARS 64M , I've added some HDDs for extra storage though :p
RAM - 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

All inside of a nice cool Phantom case by NXZT and ran on the Windows 7 Home Premium x64..

Bought some games too, here's how things went for my tests.. at 1920x1080 and 4-8x AntiAliasing

Fallout 3 New Vegas- Ran like a dream on very very high settings, CPU temp stayed around 50c and 40% or so GPU usage (I think any ways, bear with me, I'm running all this off the top of my head)

Flight Simulator 10- Ran very very well on mostly ultra settings though I did have to tone some down.

ARMA II- Again, ran very well on mostly highest settings, not many punches pulled

And the Problem child Grand Theft Auto IV, wont run for crap, runs the intro very well on highest settings, runs the benchmark thing with an avg. framrate of 35 FPS, but once the cutscene moves to the city my framrates dropped DRAMTICALLY, and when I get control of my character my ramrate drops to .5 FPS until I move the camera top down on the car, which produces 60+ FPS..

So, can any one help me with this issue? I thought I built a PC that could handle modern games, which it has proven it CAN, but what's up with GTA?

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
What do you have the draw distances set to ? I set them to around the 40 to 50 mark with my 470.

Make sure you let windows live install all the updates. GTA IV is a runs like a dog almost no matter what your system. 0.5 fps is painfully low however. You should manage way more than that.