Xbox 360 or Logitech Rumble F510?

arpit_rathore7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hey guys,I am looking forward to buy a gamepad for my laptop. My initial pick was Xbox 360 but then i found out that Xbox 360 Controller for Windows does not have programmable buttons that can be tied to keyboard commands. Whereas, in other gamepads like Logitech's Rumble gamepad F510, nearly everything is programmable and can be tied to mouse clicks and/or keyboard commands. So, please give your views on which is a better pick here inbetween Xbox 360 or Logitech's F510 and why.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

I have the 360 Controller for the PC and it comes with ZERO software, other than a driver.

You can't program ANYTHING on it, including deadzones and sensitivity of the analogue sticks. A great controller that is rendered almost useless in most games due to over-sensitivity, IMO.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

It's really a matter of preference, in the end.

I'd rather buy a controller that I knew came with good software to set sensitivity, deadzones, and maybe assign buttons that can't be assigned within some games.

I tried a lot of controllers a few years back before I bought the Xbox 360 for PC. I didn't think about the software side of it back then. I went for a controller that I thought felt good in my hands and the analogue sticks weren't so sloppy feeling like most of the other ones I tried -- these sticks have slight resistance when moving them, instead of flopping all over the place (which I hate).

It's really personal preference, but I think the software is a number one priority. M$ really dropped the ball on this controller from that side of things. They stopped supporting the excellent Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick I have too. Sad.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

There's quick turning and then there's shooting from one side of the track to the other because it's so hyper-sensitive. MX vs ATV Reflex for the PC is a perfect example.

Why not have software as I described earlier and then you have the best of both worlds, instead of being stuck in the hyper-sensitive world alone? Just my 2 cents.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
but my point is that its not super sensitive, but can still allow quick moving. u can control how slow it turns by only leaning the joystick slitghtly, no xbox players complain, and i aint no xbox player, although i do play on one. same goes for PS3, similar sensitivity there too.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You can say that about any controller, but when you are in the heat of the action, especially in a motorcycle racing game, I don't like that hyper-sensitivity. Again, just a personal preference.

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

I am saying the Xbox 360 for PC controller is the best I found when I was looking, but the lack of software is a major drawback to me.

I would go for something that I knew had software to adjust its settings independently from any game to get full use of it if I were doing it again from scratch.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
looks for a game that supports xbox 360 pad, (you can chekc it on teh back of the game)

the game will allow u to customize there. well at least the y and x axis sensitivity. this was the reaon they didnt release the drivers. many up coming PC games right now, with the banner 'games for windows' supports the 360 pad.

arpit_rathore7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Well,(unable to customize settings)thats precisely the reason i've make up my mind that i'll go for Logitech's rumble F510 instead of Xbox 360 controller. Just hope that all the games that supports Xbox 360 controller would also support the F510. In-fact, can any of you tell me that does games which support Xbox 360 will support some other company's gamepad as well?

Bogey62

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I can't answer that question, but I can tell you that the "F" series controllers have a dead zone setting issue. This is widely discussed in the forums at Logitech's site.

If you buy the controller, please post what software comes with it, if any.